Saturday, January 4, 2020

1/4/20 Report - Outlaw Remains Identified. Messages From Ancestors. Ephemera. Hand and Ink. Bigger Surf.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Source: See CNN link below.


(CNN)Bones discovered in an Idaho cave in 1979 and 1991 have been identified as the remains of Joseph Henry Loveless, a man who escaped from prison more than a century ago after being arrested for killing his wife. 


The identification, confirmed by the Clark County Sheriff's Office Tuesday, was initially made by non-profit volunteer organization DNA Doe Project, which said in a Facebook post that the "remains were preserved in the Buffalo Cave for as long as 63 years."...

Here is the link for more of the story.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/01/us/man-identified-100-years-later-trnd/index.html

---

I mentioned how I am going to send a selection of old foreign coins to a child that seemed to be fascinated with a foreign coin that he found.  Susan B. commented on that and how she was affected by a gift of stamps that she received as a child.

Here is what she said.


When I was young, my father introduced us to stamp collecting. In my stamp book were black and white pages of pictures of stamps for all the countries in the world, and I remember the thrill when I placed my live stamp over the print one. There was a song I’d heard whose first verse said, “Far away places with strange sounding names...are calling, calling me.”

I’ve never lost that interest in what’s out there. That’s the gift you can give by sharing your collections.

Susan B.


Thanks Susan.

When I was once in the hospital as a child, I received a bag of unsorted stamps and a album to put them in.  I still have that stamp album as well as a few more.

Stamp collecting is very much like coin collecting.  Many of the same things apply, such as the importance or rarity and condition.  I found a couple inexpensive and partly filled stamp albums in thrift stores over the years.  I like old postcards too.

I guess I was a collector or treasure hunter long before I became a detectorist.  I liked looking through barns, sheds and attics and basements to find forgotten or lost treasures, and I found a lot of things that I treasure today, including a good selection of post cards, most of which document ancestors and family members that I never knew or only knew as a very young child.

Here is a small selection of New Year postcards that I picked up many years ago.  All were sent to one of my ancestors over one hundred years ago from his relatives.

New Year Post Cards Posted 1910 - 1913.

Today many of us can easily document our family tree by doing a little internet research.  We can get our DNA interpreted, but old post cards, letters and photographs give a more personal touch and add something you can't get any other way.  Like the coins we dig up, they allow us to touch a piece of the past.

Postcard Postmarked Dec. 29, 1912.

It appears somebody removed the stamp from this one.  I wonder if I did that.  Could be.

There is a movement in education to stop teaching cursive handwriting.  I know people will be using electronic signatures and typing on electronic devices rather than writing, but there are benefits to learning cursive.  Among those benefits are the aesthetic element, personal expression, developing eye/hand coordination, and being able to read old documents written in cursive.

Ink well to fountain pen and then to paper, you see the flow of hand and ink, then delivered from one rural home to another for one cent.

I feel fortunate that things like this postcard were saved rather than discarded.  I rescued some of them myself many years ago.  It provides detail to the family tree that DNA can not.

---

John M. found this clump a couple days ago on a shipwreck beach and wondered what it might be.

Encrusted Clump Found by John M.
I told John I think it is probably an EO, encrusted iron object, and the iron might be pretty much dissolved.

---

Sourcea: MagicSeaWeed.com.

Looks like we might be getting some higher surf before long.  The tides are flat today.

I'm still hoping someone will be able to learn something about the symbols on Steve's ring.

Happy hunting,
Treasureguide@comcast.net