Friday, January 31, 2020

1/31/20 Report - Treasure Coast Beaches Generally Deteriorating. Mystery Find and Knives and Swords.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Vero South Beach Friday Morning.

I went out to check some beaches this morning.  My primary interest was in Rio Mar, which I hadn't checked for a while, and I wanted to see what the high surf had done there, but when I got there I found the Rio Mar access closed for a renourishment project.  I went down to Vero South Beach, and it looked like tons of new sand had been dumped there (See above photo.).

I don't know why they think people love sand so much.  I thought it was ugly.  It wasn't the best sand either.

When I went by Pepper Park I stopped to check it out too.  I had not been there for quite a while.

Pepper Park Friday Morning.
Pepper Park didn't look good either.

I stopped at Turtle Tail on my way north.  It didn't look much different than the last time I was there when the cuts had disappeared.   I talked to a couple fellows, who weren't getting any signals.


Wabasso Beach Friday Morning.
If you notice the white sand they piled on the banks, it starts up at the park but is also in front of the Disney Resort.  Did the tax payers pay for that sand in front of Disney?  I suspect they did.


Ambersands Friday Morning.


Like the other beaches I saw this morning, Ambersands beach had deteriorated since last week.

---

Yesterday I posted a mystery item from Bob C.  Bob sent the item on a grid so we could get the size.

Mystery Item on Grid.
Photo by Craig C.
The item is about 2.5 inches long and one inch wide.  The hole appears to be a touch less than a quarter inch across.  It is said to be brass with engraving.

Bob said, "A couple people I have talked to suggested possibly off of a dagger or sword scabbard. One said there may have been a different metal "medallion" where the hole is."  

I thought it might be interesting to look at the possibility that it has something to do with a dagger or sword.  A scabbard is a sheath, so I don't think that is it.

Below is an illustration from an old Dixie Gun Works catalog showing knife handle assemblies of different kinds.



I couldn't get the left edge of the illustration in the scan, but I think it is good enough to do the job.  Notice that there are both square and round tangs.  The tang goes through the guard and into the handle.   So could the object be a guard.

Below is a picture of a bowie knife guard.  The squares are one inch, so the guard is about five inches long, a little over an inch wide, but, here is something to consider, is almost a half inch thick.




Is the mystery item sturdy enough to be a knife or sword guard.  It does not look like it to me.

Below is a picture of a couple swords.  The guard on the smallest one is still around six inches across.



Of course there are a a lot of different types of knives and swords.   At this point I'm not convinced the mystery object has anything to do with bladed weapons right now, but I'm not quite ready to totally exclude the possibility.   There are a lot of possibilities.  I might consider some others in the near future.  In the mean time, I hope you'll send your thoughts and opinions.

---

I need to do some more cleaning and research on some of my finds.

It looks like the surf will be decreasing.


Source: MagicSeaWeed.com.


Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net