Thursday, January 30, 2020

1/30/20 Report - A Few Beaches and Some Finds Reported. One Find for ID.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

John Brooks Thursday About Three PM.

I was traveling the past couple days and hadn't seen the beaches for a few days.  Since the last time I was at John Brooks it hadn't changed much, but might have built up a little more.



Fort Piece South Jetty Thursday Afternoon.

When you look at Fort Pierce South Jetty beach, it is hard to not notice how much sand has left the area in the recent past.  So where did it go?


Fort Pierce South Jetty Beach Thursday Afternoon.

Obviously it has been pulled out into the water.  The littoral currents would take it south.  I'm sure it won't be long until the fill it back in with new sand.

I don't know exactly how many times they've renourished this beach in the past few years, but it has been a number of times, and each time it erodes quickly again.  All of that sand ends up in the water, and gets carried south over time.  There are times when it partially refills naturally, but I'm sure that sand goes out and south.  You will see it piling up in front of the condominiums and farther south than that.  Those beaches to the south are very wide now, especially compared to back years and decades ago.

---

Bob C. sent the following email and photos.

Hi, I've been reading here for a long time, and appreciate the blog. I found an item I'm hoping you may be able to give me some input on.  I found them tuesday in a pretty decent cut, at the southern border of a wreck. I found a lot of scrap copper and brass, the brass plate I'm hoping you can help identify, has fine, hand engraving on it. The round hole has me scratching my head. I found a small brass square nail/spike 1' from it.  A couple people I have talked to suggested possibly off of a dagger or sword scabbard. One said there may have been a different metal "medallion" where the hole is. About 25' from these, I also found a reale, and a piece of what looks like a brass chain link. Any help and wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

I'm going to post his finds now so you can see what you think.  I also asked him for measurements on the one item and should be able to give you the measurements before long.


Finds and Photos by Bob C.

The miscellaneous small finds are very similar to those I found a few days ago.

Below is the main item of interest.


Mystery Item for ID.
Photo by Bob C.


Another View of the Same Item.
I'm not sure if I see the engraving.  Maybe something to the left hole and up a little.  Looks like maybe a circle and number.

I asked Bob for measurements.  Maybe he can also be more descriptive about the engraving and what it looks like.

I'll let you think about that one for a while and post the other information as I get it.

---

After tumbling some of my small found bits to get through the surface corrosion so I could do a decent test, I found some that seem to be small melted silver bits.  Maybe I can get some decent photos of those and some other things.

---

The surf was small today and the tides weren't big either, but tomorrow we're supposed to have a bump in the surf.


Source: MagicSeaWeed.com

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net








---