Thursday, January 9, 2020

1/9/20 Report - Beach Conditions on the Treasure Coast With The Increasing Surf. Ring Find with Marks For Analysis.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.



Marks on Ring Found by Duane C.
Photos by Duane C.



I have a lot of beach conditions reports today, but I'll start with Duane's ring.  Here is what he said.

Found an old crusty silver ring the same day I dug a 1854 seated dime on a northern beach. The ring is stamped vertically and has no 925 or sterling marks. The makers mark appears to be a wreath with a crown on top circling two cursive letters inside. I found another picture of one online no ID. It maybe similar to one used by Premium Designs. That trademark has been bought & sold over the years by different companies. Last used 2016. I believe this has been around a long time. Wreaths are used on foreign coins as well as the crown. Possibly European origins? No purity marks?

Thanks in advance to anyone who may be able to help with the possible time period.

Duane



Ring Found by Duane C.

---

I took a look at several beaches this morning.  The surf was building but coming too much from the east/southeast.

Starting on South Hutchinson Island, here is Frederick Douglass beach.

Frederick Douglass Beach Thursday.

Frederick Douglass Beach Thursday.

I didn't bother to stop at John Brooks. but I took a look at Fort Pierce South Jetty to see what it looked like.  It had eroded a lot since I had been there last, but a lot of sand washed in very recently.


Fort Pierce South Jetty Thursday.

I stopped by Turtle Trail.  Three or four detectorists were already there.

Turtle Trail Thursday.

The little cut and shells that were there recently had disappeared.


Turtle Trail Thursday.

There were two Ocean Rescue trucks at Seagrape Trail.  The entrance was closed.  I suspect that was only a very short-term closure.

Wabasso Beach, however, is closed Jan. 6 - January 20.  Gates were closed and a big orange sign stated the reason.  I should have read that but didn't.

There were a couple detectorists at Amber Sands.  That beach had eroded back since I was last there, but still it was just renourishment sand covering the surface.

Amber Sands Beach Thursday.


Amber Sands Beach Thursday.


North of Amber Sands there was road construction up past McClarty.

There was a lot of traffic in the Vero and Fort Pierce areas today.  I guess it is tourist season.

Overall, I didn't see anything to get excited about today.

Even though the surf is supposed to increase, it looks like we are going to have east/southeast wind all of that time.

Source: MagicSeaWeed.com


Help Duane figure out the age and identity of his ring.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net