Saturday, December 11, 2010

12/11 Report - Neat Spike and Old Rusty Stuff



Really Neat Spike Found by Diver Off of North Carolina.

I saw this spike offered on eBay and thought it was really interesting. The seller inherited the item. He didn't know if it was a spike that was modified to be used as a knife or what. I just thought it was unusual and very nice.

Below is one of those things that looks like nothing more than a rusty lump. I think most beginners automatically discard ugly lumps like this, but that could be a mistake.

First, other objects and other types of metal can adhere to clumps like this. You can occasionally find cobs sticking to clumps or conglomerations. Take a good look before tossing something like this.

In this case, the object appears to have completely dissolved. However, there is a very good impression of the object to be found where the object used to be.




Object Found on a Treasure Coast Beach Last Week.


It looks to me like it used to be a square spike. Looking down the hole that I am showing in the photo, you can see that the hole opens where the head of the spike was.

The original shape of the object is very clearly and cleanly preserved in this clump. When that is the case, you can pour plaster, or better yet, a more flexible rubber compound into the hole. When it hardens remove the cast and you have a mold of the object.

Removing the cast from the clump can be difficult, but it can be done. I like to use a substance that makes a soft and flexible mold so it is easier to remove without damage. You might have an expert do it if you haven't mastered the procedure. You can really get a lot of detail on the cast when it is done well.
.
I might get time to make a cast of this object someday, and if I do, I'll show the results here.


Antoher Ugly Find From This Week.

I don't know if this one is old or not. So far it falls in the questionable category awaiting cleaning and study. If it is very old, it looks like it might have been a strengthening strap on a box or something. So far I haven't found any holes or markings, but it is still rather heavily encrusted.

Again, I think these types of things are worth taking a second look at. Even if they turn out to be nothing of interest, you can learn a lot in the process.

One point I want to repeat is don't throw things alway until you have looked at them well enought to know that they aren't of any interest. As I've recently discussed, I've held onto things for years before learning the true identity. I'm sorry I've thrown some things away. There are times when I should have kept things. I've never been sorry that I have kept them until I knew what they are.

As always, if you have any ideas or thoughts about these things, I'd love to hear from you.



Divers are finding Precolmbian artifacts in a water-filled crater in Mexico.

Here is the link to that story.

http://artdaily.org/section/news/index.asp?int_sec=2&int_new=43276&b=nevado%20de%20toluca

It is good to be somewhat familiar with Precolumbian artifacts. They have shown up on shipwrecks, especially the older ones.


Forecast and Conditions.

I got a report from Timothy T. saying that the cuts at Wabasso are getting bigger. As you know that is one of those places where the fill-sand is eroding. If it was the natural beach it would be a different story, but as it is, it's still worth taking a look.

Conditions are generally pretty much the same around the Treasure Coast. Still a north wind and seas running at four to five feet. I don't think you'll see much change out there.

That means keep on hitting the low tide areas, checking the shell and rock areas, and scouting around for cuts and dips.

Happy Hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net