Saturday, December 18, 2010

12/18 Report - Alexander the Great Gold Coin



350 BC Gold Coin Found With Metal Detector.

My research seems to indicate that this one is from around the time of Alexander the Great.

I guess it is a good time to remind you to keep your good finds in a bank safe deposit box. Don't keep anything good at home.

I might have shown this one before. I forget.

You can find all kinds of coins on the beaches of Florida. This is a really old one. It was found mounted. I cut the bezel out of the photo.

I should get a better photo some time.

The ring I found yesterday was silver (Fort Pierce platinum, haha). Some places tend to give up more expensive jewelry than others. Fort Pierce isn't at the top of the glitz and glamor scale.

Most of the modern coins I dug yesterday were six inches to a about 16 inches deep. There was a real dense layer hard-packed layer that it seemed most of the coins were laying on. Then there was a varying depth of new sand on top of that.

Spots tend to change day to day. The best time is right after the erosion occurs. When the hole starts to fill again, you'll have to dig deeper holes.

I noticed something yesterday, and I can't remember what it was now, that reminded me that objects in the surf along the coast of Florida more often than not tend to travel south.

Kevin Reilly, now deceased I'm sad to say, once threw a bunch of marked metal tokens about the size of a coin into the ocean below the Hillsboro Inlet. Detectorists found a number of them later, and they were all south of where they were thrown in.
I knew at the time what the tokens were made of but I forget that now unfortunately.

How and where objects travel depends on many factors, such as the density of the object, shape of the object, and a variety of other factors.


I ran across a coin forum that talks a good bit about treasure coins. One thing that you might find interesting is the discussion on pricing of shipwreck coins.

Here is the link to that topic.

www.coinforum.com/topic2161.html

You might find it worth browsing.

Forecast and Conditions.

Not much new here except that I was wondering the other day how conditions were up by Sebastian inlet. Well I got an answer. Ken A. wrote in and said he was up there and it wasn't eroded. He had some fun anyhow. He also mentioned that they are planning on dredging up that way again soon. I guess that means that Jupiter Inlet beach will be replenished, and I heard about Indian River County replenishing again soon. It looks like everything will be buried by that crap sand again, and it might last a few weeks. I guess they like to spend tax-payer dollars and watch it get washed into the ocean. As I showed yesterday, a lot of the fill sand at Fort Pierce is gone again. All of that dredged sand will cover a lot of the old stuff again.

With all of the discouraging news about upcoming dredge and fill operations, it wo't be easy. Hopefully we'll finally get some good erosion and some good hunting before that occurs.

Sometimes you really have to hunt it out. Right now, as I've been showing there are some recently eroded spots, but they are few and far between.

The wind is out of the southwest and the seas are down around two feet. That isn't much. You have to work with what you have. With the low tides, it gives you an opportunity to get out a little further than normal. Check the low tide areas for any little erosion or dips.

People have manage to find a few things lately.

Also, get a little creative and try something different. There are things to do beside hitting all of the same old spots and I'm still often surprised by what is till out there.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net