Thursday, April 4, 2013

4/4/13 Report - Annual Treasure Hunter's Cookout, Franklin County History & More on Mystery Objects


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.


Here is the poster for this years Treasure Hunter's Cookout which is coming up soon.

Contact John for more information.  His phone number is at the bottom of the poster.
 


I was talking about detecting outside the box yesterday.  There are out-of-the-way places in Florida that are fun to explore too.

Here is a very nice detailed but concise listing of major historical events for the Franklin County area of Florida going back to the very early days.

It is really worth reading.

http://www.gulfpirate.com/history.htm



Below are some really good photos of the mystery objects that I showed the day before yesterday.  I decided to show them again because I have better photos (submitted by Todd Y.) and can now see what it says, but we haven't figured out the age or exact identity yet.

As you might be able to see in the first photo, this one has a large 1 in the middle and says "TOLEDO SCALE CO" inverted upside down along the top.  Knowing the words should help some one find out what these are.



Front of First Object.

 
The photo below shows a second object that seems to say the same thing and also has a big "1" in the middle.







Two Similar But Different Objects Showing Fronts.

In yesterday's post, I also showed a third similar dug item that besides TOLEDO SCALE CO., also said POUND.

Below are the backs of two of the objects.



Two Objects Showing Backs.

If you can identify these dug objects please let me know.  If you want more information on these items or the one not shown, see my 4/2/13 post. 

One object has been tested and is said to be silver.  The size and weights are different.  One object is 77 grams and one is 59 grams.

Let me know if you have any idea what they might be.  I have a few thoughts but will hold them until I hear from you.  I don't want to bias your thinking.


The wind is out of the southeast and the surf is 1 to 2 feet today, and about the same tomorrow. 

The tides are fairly big.

I was hunting the front beach in the swash and finding shipwreck spikes and things.  One was copper or bronze.  Maybe a picture tomorrow.

I'll also talk about dips and holes a bit more some day soon.


Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net