Friday, June 12, 2015

6/12/15 Report - Lost Ring Found & Returned Months Later. Do Your Good Deed And Let Everyone Know.


Written by the Treasure Guide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.


Ring Found By Warren D.
Photo by Warren D.
Happy To Have Her Ring Back
Photo by Warren D.
Warren D. sent me an email telling the story of this returned ring.  Here it is.

I was metal detecting the wet sand with a Detector Pro Headhunter pulse detector at Ocean Ave, Melbourne Beach when a woman approached me and asked if I could find a lost ring. She said her family was posing for family pictures by the sand dunes a couple of blocks to the south when the ring was lost by her niece. I got a general description of the area as being where there was a lot of sea grapes as a back drop. I told her my detector was good for the wet sand but I have other detectors that can discriminate in dry sand and avoid a lot of the junk. I asked her when was it lost and she said about 4 months ago. She later told me it was last October, 8 months ago. I made 4 separate trips to detect the area with my pulse detector and a White's MX5 detector and a Minelab Sovereign. Each detector taught me something about the area and when I thought it was fairly clean I went back with my Detector Pro pulse and found it yesterday. It was in a area that I did not cover with my first 3 trips but it was close. On the fourth trip I was confident I knew where the ring "wasn't" if that makes sense.

Way to go Warren!  Good deed accomplished.


That is the kind of thing that doesn't happen if metal detecting is banned.  You lose your engagement ring, Rolex watch or locket with the only picture you have of grandma - too bad.  If detecting is banned we can't find it for you.  It will have to stay in the ground with the millions on millions of pull tabs, beer cans, fishing sinkers, along with knives and other dangerous items.


There are places where detecting is already banned.  They don't seem to care about your lost items.  I'm sure this woman and many more are happy that a detectorist went to the effort and was able to find and return a cherished lost items.  


I bet that if those in control lost something, they'd make an exception and go out with a detector to find it.  That is, if it is something that belongs to them.


I've shown a few returned items in this blog.  I've found and returned a good number myself over the years, and I'm sure that the others that read this blog have too.


 Thankfully metal detecting hasn't been banned everywhere yet.  Yes, there are some places (too many) where it has been banned.  We can theoretically detect in the St. Lucie County Parks, but if the item is covered at all, we can' t get it for you.  They say digging of any type is banned.  It has to stay in the ground no matter what it is.

Warren did several things that I want to point out.  First he looked several times and used different detectors.  He said Each detector taught me something about the area and when I thought it was fairly clean I went back with my Detector Pro pulse and found it yesterday. 

In my 7/22/14 post I described a strategy that I called an intensive step search, which employs various detectors and settings for multiple searches of the same area in order to gain greater understanding while progressively cleaning out an area in steps or stages while you learn more about the site.

Warren also said, It was in a area that I did not cover with my first 3 trips but it was close. On the fourth trip I was confident I knew where the ring "wasn't" if that makes sense.

Very often people will be off when they describe where they lost an item.  That is especially true when the item is lost in the water.  They don't usually understand the currents and tides.  That can throw them way off.  If you ask them what time of day it was that will help you figure out the tides and depth of water.

And it is important to learn where things are not. That is how you will narrow down a search.

For me, it is important to know where the junk is, especially in the wet sand and shallow water.  That is a part of my analysis and helps point me to the better areas.

Thanks much for doing and reporting this good deed Warren!  People need to know how much good we do.  They generally have no idea.  The detecting hobby might depend on it.

---

Yesterday the first thing I dug was a pair of reading glasses.  They were found where such things are often found - near the swash.  Watches are often found in that area too.  

A lot of people lose their glasses when they are surprised by a wave.  I've found and returned glasses to tourists that otherwise would have been in trouble without their glasses while far away from home.

Keys are another important item that we often find.  Of course, getting your keys returned can save the day.  I've found keys for both individuals and businesses.  

One time the beach concession guys at the Fountainbleau lost their keys before they got started in the morning.  They were literally out of business until the keys were found.  They offered me fifty dollars to find the keys and gladly paid that when they were found just a few minutes later.

---


SW added this clarification on the issue of the Seminoles owning slaves.  ...not all blacks with the Seminoles were their slaves, the runaways from the north that went into Florida were allowed to join them. This was done for protection of both parties. The runaways were protected from recapture and the Indians protected from raids. The Seminoles were very big slave owners, they never tended their own fields. They were actually quite wealthy, They got a lot of money from Jackson at the end of the 1st war and were still getting payments from the initial treaty.

Thanks SW.  I remember reading in one of the digital books that I recently mentioned in the blog that the Seminoles wanted compensation for their slaves, but someone said that they were runaway slaves and therefore not the legal property of the Seminoles so the slaves should be returned to their previous owners.


Just something that caught my attention as I quickly browsed the book.


You can get a lot of interesting history from those old books.


----

A group of undocumented immigrants came ashore on South Hutchinson Island this morning.  Some were detained, at least one initially escaped.  Here is the link.

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/local-news/st-lucie-county/crime/search-on-for-at-least-15-immigrants-who-came-ashore-on-hutchinson-island-in-st-lucie-early-friday_66586608

One time when this happened in the past, they set up roadblocks on the bridges and checked everyone's trunk before allowing them to pass to the mainland.


Bill M. said, There was helicopters in the air, Coast Guard in the water and officers on land because of this early this morning on the north end of Jensen Beach near nettles island... There was between 12 and 15 people aboard that boat.

No change in beach conditions.  Boy it has been a long time!

Do your good metal detecting deed today and let people know about it.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net