Thursday, June 25, 2015

6/25/15 Report - Heart Art Found Object. 13,000 Year Old Human Foot Prints. Battle of Morgarten. Consign Now.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Dug Signed Heart Art.

I'm sure you've been enjoying the posts showing the recent treasure finds made by the crew of the Capitana along the Treasure Coast. If you missed those posts, to back and take a look. I'm sure there will be plenty more in the future.

I dug up this heart thing yesterday.  When I dug it, it was in the little black bag pictured below.  I dug it and looked in the bag, but I didn't see anymore than the edge of he object.  It was tight in the bag and it wouldn't come out, so I felt it through the bag to try to figure out what it was.  I didn't think it was anything other than some utilitarian thing with maybe some sort of small weight in it.  I threw it in my pocket with the other junk and didn't look at it again until I got home.  After getting it out of the bag, I saw it was a signed piece.  You can see the signature on the bottom right edge.
It looks like it reads something like Leo Benn.  That might not be totally correct.  I haven't determined the metal yet, other than to determine it is not silver or gold.  Looks like it could possibly be pewter.

It seems unusual to me.  I'd appreciate if someone could point me to similar objects or provide any information on it.  I guess it was meant to be carried in the little bag.  There is no pin, hook, eye or any other indication that it was meant to used any way other than carried in the bag.  I've never seen anything like it that I can recall.

Heart Object With Bag It Was Found In.

The crust that was on it suggests that it was not a real recent drop even though it was found in an area where I wouldn't expect anything other than recent drops.

An old ring came from the same area that last time I was there.






Treasure Coast Beach Yesterday Morning Near Low Tide.


The front beach here is very flat and covered with a thick layer of fine sand that has accumulated over the past few months.

----

VICTORIA — Evidence of what could be the oldest footprints in North America has been discovered below the shoreline of a remote British Columbia island.

Fossilized human footprints believed to be of a man, woman and child and estimated to be more than 13,000 years old were discovered at Calvert Island, which is located on B.C.’s central coast and is accessible only by boat or float plane...

Here is the link for more about that.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/footprints-found-on-a-remote-b-c-island-could-be-13000-years-old-the-oldest-in-north-america

Who ever made those foot prints, (they say there are a male, female and child foot prints) would never think that their foot prints would be around to be studied thousands of years in the future?

---

On Thursday Zug cantonal government member Manuela Weichelt-Picard said that any objects remaining from Battle of Morgarten in 1315 had long since disappeared and that it was not possible to know the precisely where it all happened. Perhaps she was basing her information on an interview published in last Sunday's Neue Zuger Zeitung with local historian and expert Pirmin Moser, who said pretty much the same (and as quoted in yesterday's Panorama article). However, it now appears some artifacts which could date from this period have been found.
 
These include silver coins, daggers, sheathes and arrows, discovered among 80 kilogrammes of material (much of which actually emanated from 21st century school trips) collected in the area of Lake Aegeri by Romano Agola using a metal detector between January and the middle of May this year having been commissioned to do so by the cantons of Zug and Schwyz...


Here is the link for the rest of that story.

http://www.zug4you.ch/archaeological_finds_could_well_be_from_the_time_of_the_battle_of_morgarten.html

----

From Sedwick Coins...

Now is not too early to consign to our Treasure, World and U.S. Coin Auction #18, which will be our THIRD LIVE PUBLIC FLOOR sale. Like last time, we have secured the DoubleTree by Hilton at Lake Buena Vista in Orlando, FL, and we have locked in the date: October 29 2015 (with lot viewing & Guest Speakers on October 28 and lot pick-up and Numismatic Forum on October 30). Please let us know now if you plan to attend, so that we can make a preliminary head count and expand the room-block reservation if necessary.
----

I'm working on a systematic presentation of beach dynamics for metal detecting.  It is complicated and long, but I am making it simple.  I've been continuing to learn how that all works.  Don't know how soon I'll be able to post that.


Happy hunting,
Treasureguide@comcast.net