Saturday, July 18, 2015

7/18/15 Report - 18K Dug Gold Ring. The Dare and Magruder. Newly Discovered Shipwreck.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Two Treasure Coast Beach Pictures From Friday Morning.



As you can see, only the smallest surf.  Beach detecting conditions remain very poor.  Nothing much except for modern recent drops.

18K White Band.
There are few targets.  This band was the first target I dug yesterday.  After walking about fifty yards using no discrimination, it was the first signal I got and the first target I dug.  Very often I would have moved on shortly after finding that and doing a little more checking around unless something promising popped up.  There are times to move on.  I only detected a very short time that day anyhow.

I could tell that other water hunters had worked the area not too long ago, and as I was on my way to the car another water hunters arrived and started working the same area.

Sometimes there isn't anything to discriminate.  I want to know when that is the case.  Not only does that mean that there is no need for discrimination, but it tells me something important when there is no junk in the area.  It can tell you something about detecting conditions and it might tell you if there have been other detectorists in the area and what they were doing.

---

The Dare has begun to search the Lost Merchant area, and the Marguder finished up with Emerald City and will be working the Quicksands.

---


Newly Disovered Wreck Off North Carolina.
Source of photo: link below.
Yesterday I posted a photo of an piece of an olive jar with handle that was found by Au Dreamers on the Cabin Wreck site.

Notice the jar with handle at the top right of this photo
Marine scientists from Duke University, North Carolina State University and the University of Oregon discovered the wreck on July 12 during a research expedition aboard the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (WHOI) research ship Atlantis...
Among the artifacts discovered amid the shipwreck’s broken remains are an iron chain, a pile of wooden ship timbers, red bricks (possibly from the ship cook’s hearth), glass bottles, an unglazed pottery jug, a metal compass, and another navigational instrument that might be an octant or sextant.
The wreck appears to date back to the late 18th or early 19th century, a time when a young United States was expanding its trade with the rest of the world by sea...
Here is the link for more of that story.

http://today.duke.edu/2015/07/shipwreck

---

A couple days ago I posted some water hunting tips and tricks along with an illustration.  I wanted to follow up on that, but haven't done it yet.  When I get started on that, it might be pretty long.  Seems there is so much to talk about that I can't get it all in.  I'll pick up with that sometime soon.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net