Thursday, July 23, 2015

7/23/14 Report - Sand Sucking Waves. Peopling the Americas. Silver Ups and Downs & Buried Coins. Clean Beaches.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.


Breaking Shore Wave Sucking Sand.
Photo by Clark Little.  Source: link below.
A couple of days ago I posted a photo a wave seemingly sucking up some sand.  Here is another even better photo showing that.

This view of sand getting sucked up certainly suggests that other things like coins could be sucked up into and thrown by a wave like this.

Also note the ridge of water to the right in the photo.  You can see the water rolling down from that ridge and then up into the wave, taking sand with it.

These photos, as I said the other day, are by Clark Little.  He does amazing photography that is not only beautiful, but as I'm finding out, informative as well.

If you are wondering how Clark gets these photos, here he is.

Clark Little About To Get Crashed.
Source: link below.
If you think you got crashed, think about how this is going to feel.

If you look behind his left foot, you can see the sand rising there.

I started wondering if the sand being sucked up in the picture that I showed a couple of days ago could have been a reflection or illusion of some sort so I looked for more evidence.  I wanted to make sure it was really sand being sucked up.  These additional pictures seem to verify that to me, but better yet, in a video that you will find by using the link below, Clark himself referred to sand getting sucked up
 into a wave.  With these additional pictures and Clark's own words, I'm now certain that sand, and undoubtedly other things, get sucked up into waves.

If you go to the following linked site, scroll down and play the video, beginning at 28 seconds you'll hear him say "with the sand sucking up."

Here is the link.

http://www.mymodernmet.com/profiles/blogs/clark-little-shorebreak-photography

That adds a new and important factor to the whole discussion about the movement of sand and coins as it relates to treasure hunting and metal detecting and advances the science of beach metal detecting.

---

Here is a good article on the peopling of the Americas.  I might call it, Native Americans Are Immigrants Too. 

http://news.ku.dk/all_news/2015/07/the-population-history-of-native-americans/

---


When the market turned around it fell like a rock dropped into a canyon. You couldn’t sell at some slightly lower price. There were no buyers! As I watched bullion prices fall, I felt sick to my stomach. A few months later we moved to Virginia. As soon as we bought a house I buried all the bullion coins I still had in PVC pipe in my backyard. They lay there for 19 years. Recently a friend dug them up and I sold them for about four times face value.

That is the last paragraph in a story about the silver coin and bullion business back in the days when the Hunt brothers drove the price of silver up to $50 per ounce.

Here is the link.

http://www.coinweek.com/education/numismatic-history/tales-from-the-bourse-crazy-times-the-hunt-brothers-stir%E2%80%88things-up/
---

Despite the very sandy conditions we've been dealing with for many months now, there has been a surprising lack of junk targets relative to coins and better targets.  Considering the poor conditions, I'd expect to see more aluminum.  Not that I'm complaining.  I'm glad that people have removed a lot of the old trash.  Most of the heavily detected beaches are now pretty clean.  The predominate type of trash that I've seen lately consists of beer bottle caps, which at some spots are very plentiful, but at the most heavily detected areas, have been pretty much removed.

There is one spot with a lot of bottle caps that might be worth taking a look with a discriminating machine, but the areas where I've detected lately haven't had enough trash to bother using any discrimination.

No increase in surf is predicted for the Treasure Coast for the next few days.  And there is not tropical activity developing.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net