Monday, May 22, 2017

5/22/17 Report - Learning From Treasure Hunting Yesterdays. Ransomware Hits One Operating System. Beach Update.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exlcusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.



My first metal detecting was way back, but unfortunately I can't figure out what decade it was. I don't think the detector we had would detect a coin. My grandmother bought it. Maybe we didn't know how to use it. I'm very vague about that now.

I do remember that we went out to an old homestead where there was not much more remaining than a chimney. It was where she lived a short while as a child.  We found some things. I remember finding a horse shoe.  Too bad we didn't know what we were doing at that point.  It would have been nice to pick up some nicer things from her childhood.  Maybe that is what she was hoping.

I think it was the limitations of the detector that discouraged us from continuing, but it might have been our lack of knowledge that was the problem. It wasn't until years later (again, I can't figure out precisely when that was) when I was living in Florida and got a decent metal detector. It was a White's detector that I got from a Sears catalog. I started detecting the Hollywood Florida beaches, which were close to where I lived.

My coin finds increased quickly.  Every week it seemed I found more.  I remember detecting under a beach walkover one night and finding a big bunch of coins.

For some reason I returned the Whites detector to Sears, and I went to Pot O Gold, which was near the Fort Lauderdale Airport and bought a submersible detector.  It was a Fisher 1280 Aquanaut.   That detector turned out be be a good detector.  It was very reliable and effective.

I don't know which detector I was using, but it was either the Whites or the Aquanaut because I know it wasn't very long after I started detecting when I found my first ring. It was a silver skull ring by the water's edge near the main lifeguard station at Hollywood beach.

 I've said before how I found a lot more men's rings early on with the Aquanaut until I learned to turn down the discrimination, then I started getting more small ladies rings with diamonds or other gem stones.

My next detectors were made by Steve Noga.  They were modified Nautilus detectors.  Super detectors.  By that time I was finding a lot of gold.  The first one I got from Steve, was so good that after using it a couple of days and finding a lot of gold, I called him up and asked him if he'd give me a deal on a second one just to have as a backup.  He gave me a deal, and I bought the second.  I don't know what happened to Steve.

My next detectors were also modified Nautilus detectors, made by a fellow whose name I can't remember right now.  He lived in Margate.  I know he is now deceased.

I had left my consulting job and was teaching at a University in South Florida.  In between jobs I detected a lot and proved to myself that I could do well enough to make a living by detecting.  I didn't do that though. University teaching permitted a lot of time to do some metal detecting.

Since I got the Aquanaut I mostly did water hunting except when the water was too rough.  I had a long list of places that I liked to hunt, both in the water and on the beach.  I also did some parks - especially those that had swimming holes.  

At some point, maybe thirty years ago ( I don't know how many years) I started to make an occasional drive up to the Treasure Coast to try to find 1715 Fleet treasure.  It took a while.  I made a number of trips before hitting it right.  I got pretty discouraged before I managed to come when the beaches were producing, but kept at it.  

I had already found an 18th century escudo in South Florida, but was having no luck with the Treasure Coast.   Eventually I got my first piece of shipwreck silver on the Treasure Coast, then years later moved to the Treasure Coast.  I guess I've lived on the Treasure Coast over twenty years now.

The original purpose of starting this blog came from the wasted trips I made to the Treasure Coast.  I started out posting my Treasure Coast Treasure Beach Conditions Ratings so people would be able to find out about the Treasure Coast beach conditions before deciding if it might be worth making the trip.  I had made a lot of wasted trips, not knowing what the beach conditions were and thought that would be useful information.  So that was the beginning of this blog.

I didn't write this just to tell you more about me.  I hope there are some useful hints in it.

First, if you are going to begin metal detecting, you don't need the most expensive detector in the world, but you do need one that is capable of finding the types of things you want to find.  Visit a shop and get a demonstration.  Make sure you know what your detector can find and the basics of using it.

I've detailed in many posts how important it is to understand your detector.  I've also told how you can experiment with your detector to learn how to understand it better.  Do a lot of air tests and ground tests with different types of objects in different environments.  Adjust the settings and see how that affects the response.

You can expect to progress with both the quantity and quality of finds.  You should continue to learn and improve.  There will be dry spells, and some might be long, but overall you should continue to improve.

To keep making finds you'll have to adjust from time to time.  It is always good to try new places and new techniques.

---

FRANKFURT, May 18 (Reuters) - Two-thirds of those caught up in the past week's global ransomware attack were running Microsoft's Windows 7 operating system without the latest security updates, a survey for Reuters by security ratings firm BitSight found.


Did you know that you can communicate over an international computer network without using the internet.  You can.  Back as far as the 1970s I was on an international network of Cyber super-computers that were not connected to the internet.  The hardware and software was completely different. The whole world wasn't on it, of course - just the relative few that had access.

 It amazes me that such high level people in our government have been communicating on such an insecure system.  The internet has become the public park.  Some of them are good and some not so good, but you never know who might be there or what might be going on.   If I wanted to communicate information that was critical to our nations security and had the resources, I would not be using the internet.  I assume there are levels of our government that use more secure systems.

I don't think it would be a bad idea for any large organization wanting to protect its data and operations to have a separate network system for sensitive functions.

---

Darrel S. has given updates on a variety of beaches the last few days.  Here is a new update from Darrel for today.

Beaches about the same. Low was around 11:30am. A lot more beach being exposed as we head into summer tides. It was glassy early, but wind picked up by the time Sun rose. Thought I saw one of the salvagers heading out earlier, but did not see anyone out.

Randy and I were the only detectors out. I had several shell hunters thanked me for sending in the images. That makes me feel better that people appreciate the effort...

Thanks for the report Darrel.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net