Tuesday, May 23, 2017

5/23/17 Report - You Can't Accomplish What You Can't Imagine. Beach Today.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

John Brooks Near Low Tide Today (Tuesday)
Notice the old cut and the new mushy sand that has filled in front of the cut.  You can see that it is mush from the foot prints.  


John Brooks Looking South Tuesday
This photo shows more of the same.

There were some shells near the high tide line.  Also there were shells near the low tide mark at another beach.

The surf was small all along the Treasure Coast.  Only one foot or so.  We're supposed to have a one foot surf for several days.

There is a negative tide today though.  

I'll try to have those pictures for you tomorrow.

---

You can't accomplish what you can't imagine.  Some people have a hard time believing how much can be found.  It seems they prefer to believe that there is nothing out there and that it has all been found.  .

 If you don't think there is much to be found, you'll become resigned to making few finds and you won't be motivated to keep working and improving.  The fact is, the more time and effort you spend the more you can find.  You can't make a lot of finds if you don't hunt much or don't work at it.  You have to believe it is possible to begin with or you simply won't make the effort.

I received an email just yesterday from someone who said he posted his finds on the internet, and people commented that it wasn't.  They didn't believe he found all that the way he did.  That was their immediate conclusion.  They missed the opportunity to see if there might possibly be something they could learn that might help them. They failed to see his finds as inspiration and motivation, but instead they let their own ego rob them of a chance to learn and improve.

I'm not saying there is no dishonesty out there.  On sites where people receive money for clicks or views, there is a motive to lie, cheat or mislead. Where books or being sold or persons are being promoted for personal gain, there is a motive.  And some people give in to the temptation.   Stories are sometimes exaggerated, misperceived, inaccurately portrayed or overly dramatized.  I recently discussed how some TV programs may not be totally honest. In short, you can't believe everything you see, but that doesn't mean you should immediately conclude that everybody is being misleading, especially when their might actually be an opportunity for you to learn and improve.

I can relate to what that fellow told me when he said people didn't believe him.  Back maybe thirty years ago I attended a metal detecting club for a few months.  I was finding a lot of gold jewelry down south and every month took my finds to the club meetings. Every month I brought more than ten times the gold finds than anyone else.   People started to say that I was cheating.  They didn't believe I could find that much.   I wasn't cheating -  I was just detecting and finding things.

One month when I brought an 18 pennyweight class ring from Pace University with my finds, one person accused me of bringing the same class ring that I showed before.  I didn't.  In fact, the first one heavy one he was referring to from an earlier month was a 20 pennyweight ring from the University of Miami.   If they would have paid attention at all, they would have known it was not the same ring. I guess they preferred to think I was not finding good new stuff every month.  It must have helped them feel better about themselves in some strange way.  I remember it so well because of the false accusation.

 After a few months of bringing my finds, NO ONE in the club even looked at my finds any more. It was like they were actually trying to avoid seeing what I brought. I guess they didn't believe me, so that was the end of my attending the club.  Before that I almost never showed any of my finds, and I rarely showed any after that.

I've heard similar things from a few other detectorists.  They say that there are people that don't believe them when they show a lot of finds.  People accuse them of lying.  Some people might lie - I'm sure some do - but some of them are not.

Some detectorists I've encountered over the years seemed to want to believe that they are just better than everyone else.  They don't want to acknowledge that they might not be doing things better than everyone else.  I've run into people on the beach that got angry at me when I didn't agree with something they said. I remember one that stomped off grumbling "I've been detecting X number of years."  I value experience and experienced people, but time doesn't mean you are perfect. Treasure hunting involves so many factors that no one can not know everything about it.  It is possible to do something poorly for a long time. I was wrong about some things for many years before I changed my mind.  There is always something you can learn.  I am studying, experimenting and learning all the time.  That is one of the things that keeps me interested and motivated.

I'm not saying to believe everyone all the time.  That would be stupid.  But when you see some nice finds - maybe some that are hard for you to believe - before dismissing it, ask yourself if there might be something you can learn from what you are seeing.  Don't miss an opportunity to learn something new when it stares you in the face.

Don't limit yourself by refusing to believe that there are a lot of good things out there.  Don't refuse to believe that it is possible.  There just might be something more out there for you to learn.  I know there is for me.

There is a lot of negativity in the world today, but negative people and negative attitudes will not get you very far.

---

I appreciate the Google Pluses that I've been receiving lately.  It tells me which posts you really like.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net