Monday, November 27, 2017

11/27/17 Report - Ambersands Report. Renourishment Sand. Copper Finds. Fort Pierce South Jetty Beach.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Ambersands Beach 11/26
Photo by Eric H.

Eric H. sent in a report with photos.

... I am relatively new to metal detecting but you can’t say I don’t work hard at it. I went to Turtle Trail at dawn this morning but it looked sanded in, so I went to Seagrape Trail but it looked the same. So I went to Ambersands and it looked better- some shell lines and low spots- so I got out my Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II (I incorrectly referred to it as a Garrett Surf Master in my last email). It’s a PI machine which explains all the junk targets I dig but I’m there to dig targets, not walk around lol. I hit it hard for several hours and found a great shell line right in front of the mcLarty museum but it only produced junk targets. I’ll send some pics in another email.

Thanks Eric!

You can see the erosion at the back of the beach.  I can't tell for sure from the photo, but that could all be renourisment sand.

If it erodes down to the renourishment sand that came from the Sebastian Inlet swimming area, there were some silver U. S. coins in that sand.  As I recall it was a darker sand than what was put on the last time.

I like Eric's attitude of being out there to dig - not walk around.  As you know I encourage people to dig everything.  I've gone over the several reasons for that in the past.  One reason is to see what is there and to identify the different zones. 

Similar types of items tend to be found in different areas.  There can be some intermixing, but if you find aluminum in one area, you might find denser items such as lead sinkers in another.  There will also be times when you find older items in one area and newer items in another area.  It is good to know where those items are.

I mentioned sampling not too long ago.  By sampling different areas, you can tell what types of items are accumulating in those areas, and that can tell you where to focus more of your time.

Very often the older items are associated with a particular type of sand.  You might find that the older sand is a more brown/red sand.  That is often where the real old items are found.

Most of the renourishment sand spread on the Treasure Coast in recent years is a light color - almost white.  It is good if you know where it came from.  That can help you tell if something old might be in it.

So pay attention to the sand and the different layers as well as the types of objects that are being found in different areas.

Eric also said, ... is a small shell line north of McLarty. I found a few better lines but didn’t pull out my camera until I had dug targets. I also forgot to mention that I met a nice young German couple on holiday here. They had purchased a cheap $80 detector and were asking me about the area. Oh yeah, one more thing- I did see a refurbishment bag exposed slightly south of Ambersands.

Targets Dug by Eric
Photo by Eric
Here are the targets dug by Eric.  As you can see there are lot of nails, some sinkers, a fish hook, aluminum, etc.

Among the more interesting items are the following copper items.

Copper Items Found by Eric.
Photo by Eric.
The copper finds look to have some age.  The bottom one looks like a lid.  The smaller round item is interesting.  Don't know what it might be.

Thanks for the report Eric.  That should certainly help everyone assess that beach.

---

Fort Pierce South Jetty Beach.
Photo by SuperRick.
SuperRick was at Fort Pierce South jetty beach and found it cleaned out.  It gets detected frequently.  If you catch it right after it erodes you can find modern items there.

There are also a few fossil pieces being found with the larger pieces of gravel and shells.

Thanks for the report Rick.

There is a wreck in shallow water near the area shown at the top of Rick's photo, but it has been well picked over and whatever is left could be buried under renourishment sand.

I've also found WW II items on that beach in the past.  A lot of training exercises were done there.  One nice hat badge came out of the renourishment sand a few years ago.  If you get down to the older sand you might find dog tags, shells etc.

---

Today the surf will be small.  It will increase to about three feet during the middle of the week.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net