Friday, November 24, 2017

11/24/17 Report - Florida's Golden Age of Treasure Hunting is Over: My Opinion. Aku Aku. Garrett AT Max Review.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

The Gold Age of Florida treasure hunting is over.  That's my opinion.  I'm not saying that there isn't anything left to find, because there is a lot left to find.  And I'm not saying there won't be much found, because a lot will be found.  What I am saying is that the days when a bunch of regular guys could get together, form a company and get a salvage lease is over.  In theory the laws haven't changed to prevent that; but the state will be putting up more walls and making applicants jump through more hoops.

I don't believe that Florida will be giving new salvage leases unless you have really big money, a lot of inside influence and can get law-makers to go to work for you.  It might be possible to win, but most applicants will be stalled and stalled until they either give up or find that it is no longer practical.   I might be wrong about all of that and hope that I am.  I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

I don't have a lot of insider knowledge or connections, but I do know about some things that are going on and that you might not expect a guy like me to know.  If you think you have found a new wreck and want to get a salvage lease on it, the state will expect you to jump through all kinds of hoops.  They are asking more of applicants than ever before, including additional research and expanded reports.  Maybe you can bust through if you have high-level connections, but that is not what I'm talking about today.  I'm talking about new guys wanting to work new projects.  In those cases, the state will probably let you go through the first step or two and string you along.  They'll take the data you collect, use it and maybe get you to do some more work for them, but in the end, make it an archaeological site.  That is what I'm betting.

Maybe you remember back in 2012 when they proposed SB 686.  The treasure hunting community got together and fought that.  The big guys did their thing, while the reader's of this blog contacted their representatives and wrote letters.  The treasure hunting community won that one, but what I'm talking about today isn't the state making new laws, though that is likely too.  What I'm talking about today is very much like what you see with the establishment in Washington, D. C.  Government officials can make things difficult without changing the law.

If I'm wrong about any of this, let me know.  I'll be glad to post additions or corrections.

---

Mike F. sent me the following message.

It was nice to read the Easter Island story and see the pictures. If your readers want to learn more about Easter Island I recommend a book I read, and loved many, many years ago called 'AKU AKU, the secret of Easter Island by Thor Heyerdahl. He wrote the book after his famous KON TIKI adventures. He also, way back then, realized the statues on Easter Island had bodies and did some excavation.

Thanks Mike.

---

Steve from Sebastian sent this report on his new Garrett AT Max.

Have about 15 hours on the new Garrett AT MAX…no toy. Amazing machine, I have targets about every 3 feet in my yard, as it powers down through a foot of fill to the original 30 year old lot underneath. LOVE the wireless headphones too with their own volume control. Machine WATERPROOF TO 10 FEET. Bought the wired waterproof headphones right away. ..

Thanks for the resport Steve.

---

Hollow Heavy Copper Item
I thought this item looked a bit like an old hose nozzle, but it has screw threads at the top and bottom.  It is heavy, but hollow.  Don't know what it is.

I was 1.5 pounds heavier today.  It could have been worse.  I don't think I'll ever be able to get into my old wet suit.

The last time I went to the beach I saw a lot of snow bird cars.  I saw Alaska, Colorado and of course the more common ones such as New York.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net