Friday, November 3, 2017

11/3/17 Report - Very Old Coin Cuff Link From Shipwreck. Relco Metal Detector. Gold Disk. Turtle Trail Area This Morning.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Denarius Cuff-link Found on Great Lakes Shipwreck
Find and photo by Steve from Sebastian.

I previously posted about this denarius cuff-link found on a Great Lakes shipwreck by Stever from Sebastian. He sent me a more recent email telling about how he began metal detecting and a few more details on the denarius. Here is what he had to say.


Your guess at my treasure hunting years of 40 was slightly shy... I recall my first endeavor into treasure hunting was at the ripe age of 13...in 1968.

My first detector was a “Relco” Kit metal detector! The coil I recall had two vertical wooden sides coming up 4” off the coil, with a horizontal slot for the circuit board to slide in the groove (that you totally assembled and soldered). The handle was also wood, with a “forked slot” in the middle to fold the shaft. Cost $19.95...and it still took me a while to save that much up from my paper route! I recall the depths one could plumb at about 4”...on a good day. This Relco was a BFO Machine...those that know what that was, and remember those machines, might want to write in, so “The Boss” here can gauge his readership! (;

Thank you again for acknowledging us “Old Bold Divers,” and the Old Timer treasure hunters. I moved to Sebastian from Wisconsin in 1987 for one reason, and only one reason... The 1715 Spanish Plate Fleet rested their bleached old bones right here. And so will I.

There was a well known saying up on “The Lakes”... “There are bold divers, and old divers...but there are “No...Old, Bold Divers!!!” I guess I just got lucky.

Pic: Cufflink with NGC certified real...200-400 BC Silver Denarius

PS: Forgot that it was ascertained to be 200-400 BC, not just 200 BC. I was being modest! (;

Regards,
Steve from Sebastian


Thanks for the email and photo Steve. Really nice find!

I found this 1970 catalog for Relco Metal Detectors for sale on eBay.


Relco Catalog from 1970.
Source: eBay

---




The 1434 gram gold disk in the Sedwick auction that I mentioned a few days ago didn't sell.  It had an auction estimate of $80,000 to $120,000.  The starting price seemed to be too rich for this group of buyers.

---

Here are some photos from the Turtle Trail area this morning sent by Darrel S.







Thanks much for the photos Darrel.

A full moon is coming up soon.  Saturday I think.  And the high tides are pretty high, but still only about a two foot surf.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net