Thursday, November 16, 2017

11/16/17 Report - Cache of Silver and Gold 12th Century Coins. Nice Old Ring. Beach Sign. Clad Coins.


Writen by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeacesreport.blogspot.com.

Signet Ring Uncovered Along With Coin Cache
Photo by Alexis Grattier
See link below.

More than 2,000 silver and gold coins from the 12th century were found buried in the rubble as the archaeologists were digging the ground to try and identify the corner of an infirmary that was once situated at the abbey, said the researchers from University of Lyon II and France's National Centre for Scientific Research (CNRS)....


Cache of Coins Uncovered.
Source: See link below.

The medieval loot included 2,200 deniers (or pieces of silver) mostly issued by Cluny Abbey itself as well as 21 gold dinar coins, originally from the Middle East which were stored in a canvas bag... 


Gold Dinars Recovered with Coin Cache
Photo by Alexis Grattier
See link below.

Here is the link to read more about that.

https://www.thelocal.fr/20171115/medieval-treasure-trove-discovered-by-archaeologists-in-france


---

Joe D. sent the following message and find photos.

Just returned from my semiannual trip to Georgia to visit family! Of course I had to throw in a little detecting while there! On the last day ( yesterday) in my last few minutes of detecting some old torn down house lots, I found a nice silver solitaire about 5 inches down! Got confusing signals, but dug anyway! It was near other metal of course! And I was lucky to find it at all! Here's a before and after polishing! I will have to get the stone tested, but the ring says sterling! Looks to be pretty old! Also found some wheaties and some other interesting house stuff! 



Sterling Silver Ring Find After Cleaned.
Find and photo by Joe D.


Same Ring as Found by Joe D.

 Joe also mentioned a show on Netflix called "Detectorists." He said, "It's from the BBC! So English humor, but there are 2 seasons and it's pretty good! Don't know if you have heard of it, but it's not a reality show! Worth a look! Takes a few episodes to get into, but I think you will appreciate the finer points of the story! I bing watched the first season already!"


---


Darrel S. dug up the following sign on the beach a few days ago.  It reads "Stay Off Dunes."


Find and photo by Darrel S.

Darrel said the parking lot at Turtle Trail was full yesterday while the lot at Seagrape was empty.

---

Tuesday I detected less than an hour, which I think was still the most that I had a chance to do all year.   No serious detecting or anything, just a little quick entertainment.   I mentioned that there were coins on the beaches of South Hutchinson Island.  Here is what i found with my little light-weight Ace 250.

Coins and Crematory Tag Found Tuesday.

Couldn't tell what the crematory tag was until I got it cleaned.

Looks like we'll have a few more days or three to five foot surf.  I'd say beach conditions are still what I'd rate as a level 2.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net