Thursday, March 15, 2018

3/15/18 Report - Super Clay Pipe References.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.


Last month I found a broken clay pipe - my first from the Treasure Coast.  Although I have no reason to believe that the one I found has anything to do with the treasure wrecks, I wanted to find out if clay pipes have ever been found in association with Spanish shipwrecks.  I did find one listed in the Mel Fisher artifact database that was found on the site of the Atocha.  Unfortunately no picture was included.

I found two great web sites on clay pipes that you might want to check.

Here is the first.  This is a good Georgia archaeology that has some good information on clay pipes.

http://www.peachstatearchaeologicalsociety.org/index.php/12-pipes/157-kaolin-clay-trade-pipes

Here is a great paper: CLAY SMOKING PIPES RECOVERED FROM THE SUNKEN CITY OF PORT ROYAL: OCTOBER 1, 19P7 - MARCH )1, 1~68 ROBERT F. MARX

Click here for that one.

Once you get to the Western Australian Museum site, enter clay pipes in the search box and you'll find an extensive Robert Marx report that is excellent.

---

Somebody asked me about cleaning common coins for useage.  I'll talk about that sometime soon.  I have one really sweet trick that I've used for decades.

---


On the Treasure Coast today we'll have north winds and swells, more moderate tides, but only two or three feet of surf.

Save your hobby,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net