Sunday, March 25, 2018

3/25/18 Report - Piso Old Bottle For Cure Containing Cannabis. Nazi Sub Recovered From Great Lakes. Detectorist Term.


Written by the treasureguide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.


Old Cure Bottle Find - Piso Co.
I took a little walk Saturday and found this cure bottle.  The embossing is, PISO CO WARREN PA.

The side is embossed, but the front and back evidently had a paper label, which might have been like the one below.  Notice the ingredients.



Cannabis, choloroform and other valuable ingredients!  Alcohol was another ingredient, but not listed.  Opium was ingredient at one time.

Originally named after one of the founders Ezra T. Hazeltine, the Hazeltine Corp., of Warren Pennsylvania, was founded in 1869, and soon became famous for its cough medicine, "Piso's Cure for Consumption". In fact, the product became so popular that in time, the company actually changed its name to "The Piso Company."

Unfortunately, Piso's has the distinction of being the only brand name cannabis medicine named in Samuel Adam's (now classic) book on quackery "The Great American Fraud."

Now in all fairness it should be pointed out that the company has its defenders, who point out that the company itself voluntarily gave up the use of opium and opium by-products before the 1880's...


Here is the link for more about that.

http://antiquecannabisbook.com/chap15/QPiso.htm

The company came to end end before WW II, perhaps caused by the Marijuana Tax Act and the barring of marijuana from medicines.  I'd put the particular bottle as early 20th century.

Here is a very good document on the company and its medicines.

https://www.fohbc.org/PDF_Files/PisoTrior_JSullivan.pdf

I haven't had a chance to do any detecting this month, but continue to find a little time for surface hunting.

---

Fake news story on Nazi sub was removed after it was determined to be fake.

---

I once read where someone said they preferred the term "coin shooter" rather than "detectorst."  Coin shooter works for me when it describes someone that is actually hunting coins, but for someone that uses a detector to hunt other things, such as meteorites, gold nuggets, or artifacts and has little or no interest in hunting coins, I can't imagine why you would use such a misleading term as "coin shooter."  When I first started detecting I hunted coins.  My records at that time showed how many and what type of coins I found, but that changed.  Later I hunted jewelry and didn't care much coins.  At that time I kept track of my jewelry finds but not my coin finds.  If I wanted to describe myself at that point, I would not call myself a coin shooter, and if I did, it would give a very misleading impression of what I was actually doing.  Detectorist, to me, is a more general term than coin shooter.

---

I have a post for you that will likely help you answer some big questions.  If you ever wondered if you got it all or if you are missing something, I'll help you answer those questions tomorrow.  I have the numbers.  One reader not only detected a lot multiple times, but also sifted the lot to determine what he missed.  The results are amazing.  I'll post this in the next day or two.  You won't get this anywhere else.

---

The Treasure Coast surf will build to 4 - 7 feet Tuesday and maybe more Wednesday.  That is something to watch.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net