Thursday, March 22, 2018

3/22/18 Report - Treasure Beaches Around The Treasure Coast. Two Old Shipwrecks Found. Roman Settlement and Dice.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Wabasso Tuesday Afternoon.
Photo by Joe D.
Joe D. went by some of the treasure beaches yesterday and sent these photos.  You can see a lot of renourishment sand and generally sandy conditions.  Here is what he said.

... I saw that they put down sand at Wabasso and Turtle Trail! And Seagrape was closed because they were still working on beach! I stopped by one other beach; Rio Mar, and detected for a short while at low tide! I could see either a reef, or a wreck that was exposed between waves! 


Turtle Trail Tuesday.
Photo by Joe D.


Turtle Trail Tuesday.

Rio Mar Tuesday
Photo by Joe D.


Reef At Rio Mar Tuesday.
Photo by Joe D.
Thanks for the report Joe!

---

Two additional centuries-old ships have been unearthed in Old Town Alexandria, not far from where an 18th-century vessel was unearthed a few years ago.

The discovery was made at a construction site where Robinson Terminal South was located, according to a news release Monday from the City of Alexandria. Early indications are that the two ships are from the same era as the ship that was found at the Hotel Indigo site in 2015.

Archaeologists believe that that 50-foot ship was built sometime after 1741 and ended up being used as landfill in the late 1700s...


Here is that link for more.

https://wtop.com/alexandria/2018/03/2-old-ships-unearthed-alexandria/

---

Archaeologists have uncovered a Roman settlement that likely housed the family members of soldiers serving at a nearby Roman fort. The settlement, located in the modern-day German town of Gernsheim, holds countless artifacts, including an ancient dice and a game piece that the inhabitants likely used to entertain themselves.

Dice design has changed very little since Roman times. Researchers found a gaming piece and die during excavations of the Roman settlement.

Here is that link.

https://www.livescience.com/52227-photos-roman-settlement-germany.html

One reason I found this article is that I found two dice today along the Indian River.  Dice aren't so interesting, but I thought it was interesting how I found one die in the morning at low tide when I took a little walk, and then in the evening when the tide was low, I took a little walk in the other direction and found another one.

I can't recall finding die before, so when I found the second a couple hundred yards away from where I found the first, I thought that was very unusual.  One was bigger than the other and I'm not sure what the first is made of yet.

I've often said, "Birds of a feather flock together."  Moving water separates and sorts things.  When conditions are right, certain types of objects will be left on or near the surface.  If I ever found dice along the river before, it wouldn't have been so surprising to me, but they were such rare finds for me that finding two in one day seemed pretty remarkable.  It is not totally coincidence.

---

Beach conditions haven't changed much.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net