Monday, May 14, 2018

5/14/18 Report - Some Odd Finds and Common Finds. Stories of Daily Life.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com

Smile!
One Old Odd Sight Find.

I've made a lot of sight finds over the years.  They include things like gold chains, gold rings and watches.  One watch I saw on the road when I was driving.  I pulled up beside the watch, opened the door, and without getting out, leaned out and picked it up.

But I'm not going to talk about the finer finds today.  I'm going to talk about some odd and less valuable finds.  

What started me on this today is my wife was recently transplanting some flowers in the yard when she moved some ground and saw teeth staring at her.  Her first thought, she told me, was she hoped she wasn't uncovering a body.

I found those one time when I was metal detecting and left them outside on a stump or something in the area where she uncovered them.  I distinctly remember leaving them there with a few other things.  They weren't the only dentures that I've found over the years, but I have no idea where the others are.

I often mention that I've found about everything.  That includes an artificial foot and lower leg with a boot on it.  I can't imagine what happened to that or where I put it.  I wish I knew where it was now, if only to take a photo.  I think it was probably one of those things that I left exactly where I found it.

You can find about anything if you look around.  I once found bowling balls in the water - and pool balls, and horse shoes (recreational and otherwise).

So why am I talking about junk?  Sometimes junk is worth something; sometimes its interesting; but sometimes it just tells you about the area and what went on there in the past.

Here are a couple of recent sight finds.

Christmas Elf
Plastic Cat.


I guess I really got hooked on eye-balling when I was down south and found a good number of gold sight finds.  Now it is mostly stuff that isn't worth anything other than what it tells me.

You can get a pretty good picture of what went on in an area during different time periods from the items that are left behind.  These items tell of people, mostly common folk, who worked hard, made homes, raised kids, and had problems and successes. 

Besides bottles, there are marbles and doll parts, and old perfume bottles, lipstick cases, and other women's things.  Also Model A car parts and farming implements.

I've come to respect the common folk and common things.  My dad came from humble beginnings, but worked hard and took care of himself and his family.  He made life for me as good as he could.  I've also known people who put themselves first, managed great success, got a lot of attention and fame, and I'd judge them much poorer in character and accomplishment.

This stuff is not exceptional in anyway other than someone decided to pick it up years or decades after it was discarded or lost.  The area it came from wasn't populated by the rich and famous, although I've learned that there was one Major League baseball pitcher a few decades ago.  According to the story, he sat on the dock and threw his emptied whiskey bottles into the water.  I've found a lot of those too - along with cobalt-blue Pepto-Bismol bottles - possibly related. 

From a treasure hunter's point of view, the story told by these items don't give much hope of riches to be found.  In fact the story they tell is very different.  This junk tells of people who tried to get by and did the best they could.  I respect that.  I guess that is why I like picking up this kind of junk more than most.  But that isn't all there is to it.  As much as I enjoy picking up the more common traces of the past, there are occasional surprises.  Occasionally a nice old collectible bottle or some other kind of collectible pops up - sometimes even a Native American pot shard or million year old fossil.  Its all out there to be found.

---

I'm going through a bunch of cache finds and hope to get some good photos some day soon.  My Celestron close-up photo system isn't working now, and I can't find where I put my jeweler's loop.  I need to get a good look at the coins and research them too.  I'm having trouble identifying some of the foreign and very worn ones.

Really a rainy day, as you undoubtedly know.  Just a two to three foot surf.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net