Thursday, May 3, 2018

5/3/18 Report - Found Cobs for Identification. Digging Into Your Ancestry. Finding 1622 Shipwreck Consellacion.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Some of My Ancestry.
Research can be very helpful and some of the most gratifying and helpful research can be into your own roots.  Above are some of my ancestors.  The first husband of the lady in the middle was Henry Dixon, who served in the Civil War.  She was born in 1845.

Back a few decades ago, my maternal grandmother was the only one in my family who seemed to know much about our roots, and she learned with some help that she had an ancestor who served in the Revolutionary War.  For us, that bit of genealogical research seemed quite an accomplishment, but the internet has made genealogical research, along with many other types of research, much easier and more productive.  In recent years I've discovered several veterans of both the Civil War and Revolutionary War in my ancestral line.  

I'd encourage anyone interested in history, and I know most of you are, to really investigate your family history, and if possible, go back and metal detect some of the ancestral home sites.  I was lucky enough to be able to do that a few times in the past, and finds included some of my old toys that were buried where I played with them.  Like I said before, no one knows a neighborhood like the the people that were raised there.

---

I received these photos from Chris N. who says his friend found these in North Florida.  He wanted to know if anyone could help identify them.  I told him what I could make out.  The most obvious thing is that the small one is a Mexican cob, and probably a half reale. 















Feel free to send me your thoughts whether they agree of disagree with mine.


It can be difficult to identify cobs from photos alone.  You see a flat image, and generally can't see the edges  Photos often distort things.  

If you want people to be able to identify cobs or any kind of item, you can help them help you by providing as much information as you can.  Size, weight, and other information, such as where the item was found, can be a big help.  




















Here is another.  Again, let me know what you think.

---
... The Spanish merchant ship carrying the treasure, called "Consellacion," was traveling through Florida waters in 1622 when it went down during a hurricane.
In an undisclosed location off the coast of Key West, treasure hunters may be on the verge of finding the loot, filled with gold, silver, and emeralds...

Here is the link for more about that.

http://www.nbc-2.com/story/37463361/hunters-close-to-finding-395-year-old-sunken-treasure-off-florida-coast

---

I'm thinking of having some coins graded by one of the grading companies and would like to hear from anyone that has done that.  How did it go?  What would be your recommendations?  PCGS, NGC or ANACS?

---

The increase in surf that was predicted for Saturday has disappeared from the predictions.  It now looks like we'll have about three days of three to five foot surf with nothing higher.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net