Thursday, May 17, 2018

5/17/18 Report - Discovery of Steamship Pulaski by Blue Water Ventures Int. Sedwick Auction Ends. Moving Into Summer Beach Conditions.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.




The readers of this blog are involved with a lot of interesting projects.  Kurt F. sent me the following message and links.


  First...I want to say "thank you" for the Treasure beaches blog...I am a longtime loyal follower, and feel that we are all...incredibly fortunate...given the information you share. You are a great asset to the entire MD community!!

 I am fortunate enough to be involved in the Pulaski Steamship project and thought it may be something you'd be interested in learning about...

I am going to include a few links for you to peruse if your so inclined, and hope you find it as fulfilling as I have!




https://vimeo.com/268761156

Thanks Kurt!

Reporting the discovery, the Charlotte Observor called the Pulaski "The Titanic of its time"  Here is an excerpt from that article.


And here is the link for the rest of that article.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article195517649.html

Coinweek also reported on how the Pulaski was identified.

https://coinweek.com/us-coins/recovered-artifacts-confirm-discovery-of-pulaski-shipwreck/

And here is a lengthy first hand account of the sinking of he Pulaski by one of he survivors.
https://www.jstor.org/stable/pdf/40575609.pdf?refreqid=excelsior%3A5372a48ff223e0c64c5b096c00e4ab44

We can expect to hear more about he recovery of coins and artifacts from the Pulaski in the future.

---

The most recent Sedwick auction results are now in the record books.  The second day did not have the star items or any six figure bids.  As always, I'm interested in the artifacts, and was a little surprised by some of the prices.  Of course I was most interested by items that were similar to some that I've found.

The single gold bead did very well.   I told the story of the one that I found by Turtle Trail.

I was surprised by how much was paid for the musket balls and the grenade.  I found several grape shot in the Caribbean but left them there because I didn't want to carry them back on the plane.  Talk about six figures -  it would have been a huge fine if they were considered to be explosives, even back in the eighties.

The emeralds seemed to do quite well too.

Three black glass bottles brought in a good price.

I'll probably look at some of the individual artifacts in more detail at some other time.

I think you should always be aware of how much things can be worth.  I've been too casual with finds too many times in the past when I didn't realize how valuable they could be.

---

Yesterday I found an embossed Eddy and Eddy Chemist bottle from St. Louis.  I'll get some photos of that.

Maybe you noticed that I stared a separate site called the TG Bottle Barn.  I just got started on it, but intend to post bottles that I've found.  Bottle are one of the things I've sold in the past and I'll probably have to get rid of some before long.

=--

On the Treasure Coast we'll have a two to three or four foot surf this week.   We're getting into summer conditions, which means mostly building beaches, but also some possible storms.

The Mid-Atlantic and Northeast has been having a lot of storms.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net