Saturday, May 26, 2018

5/26/18 Report - Whatzit Coin for ID. Bottles and Huge Insulators Found. Alberto. One Reader Who Suffered Rattlesnake Bite.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Very Mangled Coin.

I found this very mangled coin.  It is one of the most mangled that I've seen.

The photos show more detail than the actual coin, which only shows very very little surface detail if you get the lighting just right.  In fact, looking at the actual coin, I didn't see any surface detail at all until I caught the light just right and could barely make out part of the face.  I thought it might just be a slug or blank for a long time, but after seeing part of the face, I tried to clean it some and then took the photos, and I could see much more with the photos than the unaided eye.

You can see part of the words "LIBERTY" and "GOD WE TRUST"  in the photo above.


Two Photos of the Back of the Same Coin.
The above photo appears to show "10 60" and "KES" along with a boats bow with people standing on it and a bird overhead.  At least that is what I think I'm seeing.  You have to look close.




The camera angle is slightly different and I think you can see how much difference that makes in what you can see.

I could use some help in identifying the coin.  I don't know why I need to, but it has become a bit of a puzzle for me.

It weighs more like a nickle than a quarter.  In the bottom photo, I think I can see either 2005 or 2007.

Notice how a slight change in camera angle can make additional details more clear.

By the way, these photos were created using a Cannon EOS Camera (Digital Rebel XTi) with the lens that came with it (EF-S 18 - 55mm).  No close-up lens or anything special was used.  I was pleased with the photos, and a small amount of digital enhancement.  I could see way more in the photos than I could see with just bey looking at the coin.

I'm hoping someone can tell exactly what coin that is supposed to be. Thanks.

And how do you think it got so mangled?

---

I was clearing an area covered with brush and vegetation this morning and found a bunch of bottles and some insulators.

Here are a few.

A Couple Bottles Found This Morning.

The clear one is about a foot and a half tall.  I don't have any idea what it might have held.

Insulators and Bottles Found This Morning.
There were a lot of milk bottles.  You can see one of those in the background of this photo.

I haven't looked through those bottles much yet.

----

I add this rattlesnake story to emphasize what I said yesterday about being careful.  In Florida we have some very deadly snakes.  Here is Brain B.'s dramatic story.


Hello,

I'll share a true story with you regarding being bitten by a rattlesnake. When I was 15,I broke my ankle playing basketball at school. The cast stayed on for 6 weeks up to my knee.I begged the doctor to take it off on the evening before Thanksgiving. I was his last patient of the day. He xrayed it and said it could come off so I could hunt Thanksgiving long weekend but wasn't due off until the following week.

The next day around 1pm before the big family dinner I was hunting up near Tomoka State park. I stepped on a palmetto fan laying on the ground. As soon as I stepped off of it something sprung up and latched onto my left calf up high near my knee.

I grabbed it and yanked it off,as my buddy ran away from my scream. I climbed a small oak quickly(funny how your brain tells you to run and get off the ground) and rolled up my pant leg. I heard the rattle then. There he was coiling around my shotgun laying on the ground.

My friend threw pine cones at it and I slid the gun to me and shot it many time. 14 rattles and maybe 7 feet in length. Fang marks were 2 1/8 apart. My buddy ran for help as I limped out of the woods with rattles in hand.At the hospital they called my parents and asked permission to treat me. Guess what? I was allergic to the horse serum as they prick you a couple times with lose dose to see how you react.I was screwed. 

They tried to get in touch with Ross Allen in Miami for a pint of his blood. No luck. For 13 days I stayed in Halifax Hospital while the venom ran its course. For the first 2 days they kept me awake, Low dose of morphine for pain. I turned black,green,yellow and blueish on half my body. My whole left side from toes to neck was twice the size of the right side. A perfect dividing line one side chest bigger than right side.

When you are allergic to horse serum there is nothing else they can do without getting someone else to give you a pint of their blood that has been bitten before and allergic to horse serum too. You body has to build up on it's own.

Yes,the doctor whom cut the cast off that evening before stopped my room as it made the papers and throughout the community. We laughed about the the timing of cast coming off early and getting bit on the same leg. For the next 3 months I was on crutches and limping along. To this day I can take a pencil tip and still pinpoint to the exact location of where the fang marks were as they are sensitive.No surgery was needed as they wanted to cut my whole leg open and remove the poison  dead tissue. I thank my dad for not allowing them to do that as my leg is 100% today and everything is normal.When you are bitten you feel light headed,like you are walking on a hot day ready to faint. You feel disoriented as the poison hits your system. Worse part? The force of the strike like punching nails into your calf with a hammer. The rest isn't bad at all. Thanks and enjoy your weekend.


----

7 AM Saturday Update.
Source: nhc.noaa.gov
The path of Alberto has been steady.  It looks like it will hit the Florida Panhandle as a storm.  Probably no big deal.

It looks like we'll get some rainy days from it, but no big effect on beach conditions.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net