Saturday, May 5, 2018

5/5/18 Report - What The Beaches Are Doing. Comments On Getting Coins Graded.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Blind Creek Beach Saturday Morning
There is a bit of a dip up to the north.  Not too long ago this beach was eroded way back to the dunes.

Same Photo As Above.
Here is the same photo, but the orange line shows where it was eroded to not too long ago.  The blue line shows a bit of a dip that remained as of Saturday morning.  A lot of sand has accumulated since it was eroded back to the dunes (orange line).

Walton Rocks Beach Saturday Morning.
Walton Rocks looked very much like Blind Creek.  Notice all the sea weed on both.

Frederick Douglas Beach Saturday Morning.
Frederick Douglas, as you might expect, looked very similar to John Brooks.

Surf At Frederick Douglas Beach Saturday Morning.

There were the remains of some small old cuts at Frederick Douglas and John Brooks, but they were nothing exciting.
Fort Pierce South Jetty Beach Saturday Morning.
The biggest fresh cuts that I saw this morning were at Fort Pierce South Jetty. The one above was near two feet high.

Sand Dredge Boat About To Enter Fort Pierce Inlet.
The sand renourishment project continues at Fort Pierce South Jetty beach.  

Overall, I didn't see anything very exciting.  I detected a few minutes at Fort Pierce South Jetty and picked up a deep coin line.

By the way, I've noticed that the term "coin line" is being used all the time now.  Can anyone tell me where that term appeared in a publication prior to 2008?  I don't think you'll find it before that.

The people that write the books these days read everything else they can find and then use it as their own without giving any kind of credit.

---

I watched a little of Bigfoot: The New Evidence, a new TV series, but gave up on it pretty quickly.  Its too much like Curse of Oak Island but I think Bigfoot might be found first. 

---

I asked about coin grading the other day and got this excellent email from Bill K.


Ive had some of my personal coins graded and now use PCGS exclusively. When grading services first got started it was primarily ANACS............but........PCGS now dominates the arena. Turn around time is reasonable and cost for high grade coins is almost a must. I learned this lesson many years ago when I went to a local coin shop and purchased a $10.00 Indian gold coin the dealer insisted was "uncirculated". But, when I got it back from the grading service it was graded MS 55. This was a lot less valuable that what I had paid for an uncirculated coin (MS 60 is considered uncirculated)

One nice thing is that a PCGS MS 65 listed for sale that is "slabbed" (in the plastic sealed case) is pretty much an MS 65 wherever you go. At that point it may get down to eye appeal.........for example a MS 65 1916 D Mercury dime may be a bright silver but some may be "toned" (have a blue on it) My good friend only collects toned coins where I would only get bright coins even though both would grade MS 65

Some people have returned PCGS coins back to PCGS and had them re certified and you will see the little green CACsticker affixed.

Bill

Thanks Bill!

---

I'm not expecting any big changes in beach conditions in the next few days.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net