Wednesday, January 16, 2019

1/16/19 Report - Beach Conditions Check. Strike-Through Error on Modern Coin. Wishing Well and Foreign Coins.

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

2016 Quarter With Gash That Appears To Be a Strike-Through Mint Error.

I recently found what some experts think is a strike-through error on a quarter that I received in change.   Shown here is that 2016 quarter.


Probable Strike-Through Error on 2016 Quarter Found in Change.

---


I went out to check some beaches this morning near low tide.  The first stop was John Brooks.  The water had been pretty high, but despite a nice little angle to the waves, there was absolutely no erosion.  The low tide was not very low and the surf was less than I expected.  With the northwest wind, there wasn't much surf at all.

There wasn't a single car in the parking lot and no one to be seen on the beach.  I was also expecting it to be colder, but found it very comfortable.  I was dressed for cold weather though.

Unfortunately I didn't get any photos because my phone batter was too low.  That was a disappointment.

I checked out a couple other South Hutchinson Island beaches and saw no erosion anywhere.  Not even South Jetty Park.  Blind Creek looks like it hasn't hardly changed at all in the past few weeks.

Overall, I saw no improvement in beach conditions.  Some of the beaches to the north or south might be better, but I saw nothing very encouraging.

The predictions don't look any more encouraging.

Source: MagicSeaWeed.com.

As you can see, the surf isn't predicted to get any higher in the next few days.

---

A few days ago I recommended the book Silas Marner.  One person said they saw it on video and it  is now there most favorite.  I don't know how well it was adapted to video, but it evidently worked.

---

Throw a coin over your shoulder into Rome's Trevi Fountain, the legend says, and it will bring you good fortune and you will one day return to the Eternal City.

It is an essential tradition for millions of tourists. But few will have suspected their loose change would also spark a bitter row between Rome's secular authorities and the Catholic Church.

Traditionally, the €1.5 million (£1.3 million) of coins scooped out of the stunning Baroque fountain each year are actually destined for the Catholic charity, Caritas, to help the city’s poor and homeless.

Now Rome’s Mayor, Virginia Raggi , says the €4,000 (£3,600) worth of coins tossed into the fountain every day belong to her administration.

From April 1 the donations will no longer be paid to Caritas, but are to be used by Rome City Council for the maintenance of cultural sites and social welfare projects.

Here is the link.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/01/13/rome-authorities-catholic-church-unholy-row-coins-trevi-fountain/

Tons of coins get thrown into wishing wells and the like.  It is amazing to me how many coins get thrown away like that.

It would be nice to find an old wishing well or something like that.  I remember one little bridge across a brook where we used to stand as children and watch the guppies.  If I was back there, I'd like to check under that bridge with a metal detector even though none of us would have thrown away so much as a penny.

I think a lot of people at tourist destinations throw away their loose change when they leave because they'll have no use for the foreign currency when they get home.  There is not a puddle at Disney World that isn't full of coins.  I don't know what happens to them.

If you look detect at a location that will have foreign coins, remember to adjust your detector settings.  Many foreign coins are made of other materials can easily be discriminated.

Foreign coins will often move differently too because of the different shapes and density.  In St. Lucia, for example, the local coins were very light.  They would wash around in the surf very much like aluminum.  While I didn't target coins there, I would find enough local change to buy a meal or two every day.

I talked to one person who thought tourists would throw away their local change when they left.  I don't know about that, but there was plenty of it to be found.




Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net