Monday, December 30, 2019

12/30/19 Report - Mystery Coin for ID. Mayan Ruins Explored. Trash to Treasure.


Written by the Treasureguide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.


Object On Right Found on Beach
Find and photo by Sharon

Sharon found the coin on the right in the photo above and is wondering if someone can identify it.  Looks like it might be an ancient Greek coin to me, but I haven't done any research.  A lot of these kinds of coins are used in modern jewelry - some being reproductions.  Let me know your thoughts on the identify of this coin.   All thoughts and opinions welcome.


Back of Same Coin Found by Sharon.

I suspect that with a little research someone will be able to come up with an exact identity for this find.

---


DJ sent me the following link to a very interesting article by Zelia Nuttall published in the 1910 American Anthropologist about the archaeological exploration of the Mayan ruins found on the Isle of Sacrificios.  Good reading.

Here is the link.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/659954?seq=50&socuuid=3cb098d2-9e2f-482c-a6da-80ad83963c48&socplat=email#metadata_info_tab_contents


---


Red Green Of the Red Green TV Show
Source: RedGreen.com

Red Green, the redneck comedian, philosopher and raconteur, always says,  "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."   I can relate that to metal detecting.  If what you find isn't pretty, it still might come in handy.

I'm always happy to find something useful on a beach, and a surprising number of things are.  Wire can often be found, for example, and even though it isn't exactly what you are looking for, I've found that it almost always comes in handy.  I use my found wire for a lot of things, including hangers for outdoor Christmas decorations.

Old coconuts, as one of many possible examples, can be useful - even if the milk and meat is no good.  Here are some things I made out of old coconuts that I picked up at the beach.

Orchid Hanger Made Out of Found Coconut Shell and Wire.

To create an orchid hanger, all I had to did was cut the top off the shell, use a drill to cut a little design in the shell, then drill a couple holes near the top to attach a hanger made out of found wire.   Insert a little coconut shell fibre and an orchid, and that is all there is to it.

Here is one way to make a planter out of a found coconut shell.

Coconut Shell Planter.

Cut the top off.  Cut a smaller bit off the bottom, and use a section of the top for the stand.  Then just add soil and a plant.

I know those kinds of things aren't what you'd like to find, but there is a lot of treasure in the trash you see, and I like finding the value in things that aren't so pretty.  I'd rather convert junk than than waste my money buying stuff.  It's living green too.

A little creativity can turn your less handsome finds into something handy.

---

Yesterday I posted a review of 2019, including the most read posts, which were mostly about the storms and finds of the year.   I gave links to the most popular posts so you can go back and check out the big topics and finds of the year.  You might want to take a look at the year in review if you have not already.

It looks like the Treasure Coast surf is now down around two or three feet and will remain low for several days.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net