Friday, August 7, 2015

8/7/15 Report - What I Can't Tell You. Beach Deconstruction and Peat. Prehistoric Tobacco.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

1200 Year Old Tobacco Pouches.
Source:  See link below.

When I first started this blog I didn't do much other than give my beach detecting conditions report.  Then I started to add additional information and some of my thoughts.  I'm not a very talkative person, and normally tend to use few words.  If you would have asked me back when I just started this blog, I would have not thought that it possible to have so many posts without running out of things to talk about, but it seems there is always something new to talk about.  I don't copy or repeat what other people are saying.  In fact I don't generally read other metal detecting literature unless I am looking for something specific.  The funny thing is that it hasn't been hard finding something to say, the hard thing, especially lately, is that I know about so much exciting that I can't tell you about.  Not just one thing or place either.  There is a lot going on - both on the Treasure Coast and around the state.  I know I won't be able to tell about some of them, but I hope I'll be able to share at least some of those things very soon.

---

Here is an email I received from Joe D.

Hello again,

   ...I have been enjoying; (among others)  your beach deconstruction and surf interpretation posts!

Detecting time for me this summer has been hard to come by due to family, and the summertime heat! I just returned from the family vacation and had some pics to post from a South Carolina Beach that had a long history and interesting conditions!


I will include a few other pics! Keep up the great posts!



This pic shows an initial sand layer at the high tide mark that gives way to a peat-like layer, then sand again, then a heavy clay layer that reminded me of the layer that the recent treasure coast gold coins were found in! While searching this area, I found many rusted items and  a broken french wine bottle that I dated to around 1846! I wish I had more time there! But it's back to reality! 

Here are the beach pics...





Clumps of Clay From This Beach.

Thanks for the great photos Joe.  Interesting to study.

There are some interesting dips and a lot of places for coins and things to get trapped.  When you see vegetation getting washed away, try to figure out how long the vegetation and ground right under it has been undisturbed.  Sometimes it will be a very long time and other times the vegetation might be new.

I always watch for exposed roots on the back beach, which can be a good sign of erosion and would definitely check out anything like that.

Peat has been exposed on one Treasure Coast beach a few years back.

In the beach illustration that I posted a day or so ago, you can see the underlying peat illustrated.

The way it is illustrated here, erosion below the high tide line could expose it.

Here is a cool related picture from the following linked web site.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2564285/5-000-year-old-forest-unearthed-storms-Beach-washed-away-reveal-ancient-oaks-pines.html


Back a couple of decades ago there was bunch of stumps much like these exposed along the water line north of John Brooks.

I think some  things are colored black by peat along the Treasure Coast including many of the fossils that were being exposed back a few years ago.

---

The first week of August back a few decades ago I discovered my first escudo.  That was one of my best hunting weekends ever.  Also found a U. S. gold coin the same weekend, which happened to be my Birthday weekend.

---

Here is the link to the story about the prehistoric tobacco pouches found in an Arizona cave.

http://westerndigs.org/1200-year-old-pouches-found-in-arizona-cave-contain-prehistoric-chewing-tobacco-study-finds/

---

Nothing new about Treasure Coast beach conditions yet.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net