Sunday, August 13, 2017

8/13/17 Report - Old Maps From the Internet. The Watch Videos. Different Terms. D.B. Cooper Treasure Mystery. Tropical Storm Forming.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Super Old Map For Locating Metal Detecting Sites.

The internet provides so much good research material.  I found this 1876 map showing the area where I grew up and where many of my ancestors settled in the 1800s.  There farms are well marked on the map.  You can see where the old school house was, and you might be able to see the Plank Road running down the middle of the map, which was actually covered with planks back in the day.  Now it looks like any other road.  And near there used to be an old one-room school house that has been remodeled many times so that you would never guess that it was either a school house or old.  These kinds of old maps are invaluable for locating good metal detecting sites.

I also found an early 1700s map showing where one of my ancestors had land near Lancaster PA.  As I've said before, I really enjoy digging up (in more ways than one) my own family's history.

---

The past few days I showed some videos.  One thing you should get out of that series is the need to be careful about selecting the mode you use when you metal detect.  I generally prefer an All Metals or Pinpoint mode.   If you used coin mode for those watches, for example, you probably would have missed them a lot of the time, and even if you used All Metals mode and were going by the signal tone or ID meter, you still could have missed some of the watches.  Other artifacts could be missed just as easily.

I used the Garrett Ace for the videos.  It is not a high-end detector, but the circuitry is basic and similar to that used in many detectors.  I might demonstrate how different types of detectors woud respond some time in the future.

---

I remember once reading that someone didn't like the use of the word "detectorist."  I forget their reasoning, but for me the term is a good one.  They preferred the label "coinshooter."

I prefer the word detectorist because it is more general.  Few people who are out there hunting coins would not want to find a nice gold ring or something else of value.  Most people who search the treasure beaches hunt for and find things other than coins, including rings, spikes and other artifacts. And those that too narrowly focus on coins, might not realize how many other types of nice shipwreck items they are missing.

Treasure hunting is an even more general term.  There a lot of different kinds of treasure that can be found on a beach.  Some aren't even metallic.  The 1715 Fleet wax seal impression that I found is one example.  There are also pottery, stone, fossil and other types of treasure that can be found while detecting.  I don't like being too restrictive.  I don't like to miss much of anything that I might find interesting.  I'm not just interested in coins or jewelry or silver or gold.  Even when I really want to find one type of thing and go out with that intent, I do not see any reason to pass over any other interesting things that might be there.  You can be looking for one thing and find something else even better.  Also, the other things you see along the way, such as a pot shard or musket ball, might provide just the clue you need to help you find the thing you set out to find.  Everything that has been on a beach for a while provides some indication of how the beach and other things are moving and therefore can provide very important and useful information.

---

A crew of volunteer cold-case investigators in the Pacific Northwest, led by a former FBI agent, has uncovered what they believe to be “potential evidence” in the 46-year-old mystery of D.B. Cooper...

Here is the link for more about that.

https://dbcooper.com/2017/08/1382/

Thanks to Dean for the link.

---

Tropical Storm Eight.
Source: nhc.noaa.gov
Tropical Depression Eight looks like it will be a storm, but it won't come our way.  I'm not expecting to get anything off of this one at all.  It has been a very long sustained period of south and southeast wind and building beaches.  Someday that will change.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net