Saturday, August 19, 2017

8/20/17 Report - Crew of Sea Reaper Recovers 1715 Fleet Gold Coins Off Treasure Coast. Shipwreck Treasure of Rooswijk. Weather Watch.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

1715 Fleet Gold Coins Found by the Crew of the Sea Reaper
Photos submitted by Captain Jonah Martiez

Captain Jonah sent me the above photo of the gold coins found by the crew of the Sea Reaper.

Those are some beautiful two escudos.  You can see the denomination on a couple of them.

I'll take a closer look at some of these later and maybe have a few comments about them.

Thanks to Jonah for sharing and a big congratulations to the crew of the Sea Reaper!

It isn't everyday that you get piles of gold.  Sometimes you have to work your way through some hard boring days to get there.  I always figured that the longer the dry period got, the closer I was getting to the next big hit.

---

Treasure and intrigue: scientists unravel story of 1740 Kent shipwreck.

Excavation has brought up silver dollars, pewter jugs and a mystery chest from Rooswijk wreck in Goodwin Sands...


Here are some of the coins.

 Photograph: Zeeuws maritiem muZEEum/PA
And here is the link for the rest of the story.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/aug/18/treasure-and-intrigue-scientists-unravel-story-of-1740-kent-shipwreck

---

Yesterday I posted what I thought was a really useful video that shows a helpful trick that I learned only after a lot of years of detecting. The video didn't get nearly as many views as I expected and am wondering why.  I guess I didn't successfully make the point about how useful it is.  Maybe I told everything in the text, but the video adds a lot - in my opinion.

[UPDATE:  I got word that people were having trouble with the link to the video I posted yesterday, so I just went back, and I think I got it fixed now.  Thanks to those who let me know about that.  Hopefully it is now working for everybody.  I think this link will work.
https://youtu.be/Mu7sbkrLC1k ]

---

I watched a couple episodes of the first season of Mine Hunters on the National Geographic channel Saturday.  Not my favorite, but an ok show.

Not treasure hunting related, but I watched some of Fifth Wave, a movie about how citizens were made to appear like enemy invaders and their own children tricked into killing them.  It was an interesting movie plot that made me think how the establishment could turn the right and left against each other so they can maintain power.  Might seem far-fetched, but with the media fed frenzy of today, totally imaginable and worth thinking about.

---

The systems I've been watching on the National Hurricane Center map decreased in strength over night.  I"ll be watching and reporting on the one that might come our way.  Right now it looks like it won't be much, but there is still time for things to change.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net