Saturday, May 18, 2013

5/18/13 Report - Bust Half Found on Treasure Coast, Be Flexible, French Warships, & Tide Charts


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Capped Bust Half
William M. found this nice Capped Bust Half.   It had a hard black crust that William cracked open.  When the crust fell off a very clear imprint of the coin was seen on the crust (See below.)

I showed a mercury dime that had a similar crust back a couple of weeks or so ago.  I found that crust was not dissolved by muriatic acid at all, but did crack open.

You don't find old coins like that on the beach very often.

Nice find William.

By the way, I haven't received any information on the bronze spikes I posted recently for William yet.  Any comments?





Pete L. said,   Very cool article this morning (Thurs.) with those spikes and staple! Looks like those tread marks on the staple would act like a barb on a fishing hook, to help keep the staple from backing out after it's in place!  I too would maybe throw them out but watching more and more relic hunting vids on Youtube I seem to like this stuff more and more!  

Thanks for the feedback.

Crust of Bust Half Showing Coin Imprint.
I like to make detectorists aware of a broad range of types of finds.   When you are out there it doesn't hurt to know about these things and understand that what you pass up can sometimes be more valuable than some of the things you might target. 

The more types of treasures you know about, the better chance you have of being successful.  And there is a great deal of satisfaction in being able to attach the proper significance to an item.  That additional information can also help you to make more finds. 

I've hunted a lot of different things and a lot of different types of places.  I like it all, and it helps to be flexible.  I don't care if I am at a fancy resort, out in the mountains, on a beach, in a park, or in the ocean.  It is all fun.  You can find something anywhere.  And the more you try different things, the more you'll learn.

I say this frequently, but here it is again.  When conditions are not right for finding one type of treasure, conditions will usually be right for finding another type of treasure.  If you are targeting one type of thing and conditions are not right for that, you might consider adapting and doing something else.

In this blog I've talked about things like old bottles, pot shards, stone tools, shell tools, sea glass, fossils etc. in addition to the types of things we more often target.  You can find all of those things on a beach.  And, of course, you can go off beach.

You can use the search box on the first display of this blog to go back through old posts on any of those subjects.



Ten 18th-century French warships are being studied off of Nova Scotia.  They were sunk during the second siege of Louisbourg in 1758.

Here is the link for more on that story.

http://www.ngnews.ca/News/Local/2013-05-09/article-3242211/Underwater-archeologists-helping-tell-story-of-Louisbourg-siege/1



I mentioned a few days ago that I was looking at the tide predictions.  Here is a web site that I found that I like.  Give it a try.

http://www.tides4fishing.com/us/florida-east-coast/vero-beach-ocean

The chart is nice.

I showed Vero as an example, but you can also select other areas along the coast.

When I decide which tide site I like the best I'll list it on the blog.


Beach detecting conditions remain unchanged on the Treasure Coast.

Happy hunting,
Treasureguide@comcast.net