Wednesday, May 8, 2013

5/8/13 Report - Missing Person & Gold, First Paintings of Native Americans, Browning Keeps on Ticking, & Where You Can Find Things on the Beach



Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.



I few days ago I told about a beach that I visited where there were targets that I could detect but couldn't recover because of how deep the targets were buried and the moving water.  Since I forgot my camera that day, I decided to make a sketch to explain the situation. 


Sketch of One Treasure Coast Beach

At the top of the front of the beach was a little cut.  You can see that in the diagram.  Then the beach sloped down.  There was a lot of mush at the top, but a little below the worst mush were some modern coins.  And further down the slope, very near the front of the beach, just behind where the waves were breaking was a foot of so of sand covering a layer of shells.  I would say the targets were in the top of the layer of shells roughly a foot to two feet deep.  That is where I detected a good number of targets which I couldn't recover.  The waves were breaking just in front of that and washing over the hole and quickly filling any hole that was being dug.  That is the same type of area where I have recently uncovered spikes and things (including some coins) when the tide was lower and the surf not quite so rough.


Here is a story with a Vero connection about lots of shipwreck gold found and then gone missing again.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/05/07/feds-use-digital-billboards-in-hunt-for-fugitive-treasure-hunter-who-found-ship/

Thanks to Ron B. who sent me the link to this article.



A European painting from 1494, two years after Columbus' discovery of the New World, shows what appears to be Native Americans.  That is the first known depiction of Native Americans in European art.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/vaticancityandholysee/10033399/Vatican-uncovers-first-Western-painting-of-Native-Americans.html

Old paintings can provide a good research tool.  It is a way to learn about the everyday things of the time in question.


I often run across stories that transcend the field of treasure hunting or metal detecting.  The first in this post is one.  Below is another.  It is about a plane and Browning machine gun (that fired bullets like those I posted not long ago and which are  found on the Treasure Coast and around Florida).  The story is not a new story, but I just discovered it and thought you would find it as interesting as I did.

The plane crashed in WW II and was buried, along with the Browning machine gun, in a bog for 70 years.  When dug up the Browning fired the first time. 

The story also talks about an American who gave up his citizenship to fly for the British before the Americans joined the war.  Really of lot of interesting history in this article.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2060047/Built-Guns-Spitfire-buried-peat-bog-70-years-time.html


On the Treasure Coast today the surf is running about 3 - 4 feet.  It will continue to gradually decrease until it is down around 1 foot this weekend.  Then next week the prediction is for the surf to increase again.

The low tide will recede just a little more today than has been the case.  With the lower tide and surf, I'll try to go out to see if I can get those targets that I couldn't dig before.


Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net