Thursday, March 20, 2014

3/20/14 Report - Treasure Coast Gold Ring, Working A Steep Slope In Rushing Water and Satellite Images


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Treasure Coast Gold For Today

I had some things I had to do today and didn't know if I'd have time to get to the beach.  As it turned out I got to stop and take a look at three spots this morning.  The timing was not good.  It was just before high tide.

Under the circumstances I forgot to take my camera.  Too bad.  There were a few things that I could have used as illustrations.

If a picture is worth a thousand words, I'm only going to be able to convey a small fraction of one picture in this post.

The first beach I looked at was a 1715 Fleet beach.  It was where we had a cut a week or so ago and where the gold nugget was found.  Tons of new sand had piled up on that beach.  You would never guess that it had been cut a few days ago.  I didn't bother to take my detector out of the car.

The high tide had been pretty high and the swells were pretty big, hitting the beach directly from the East.  That all adds up to sand piling high and deep on the beach.

The second beach I took a quick look at was similar.  I didn't bother to take my detector out of the car again.

The third beach that I  looked at was tourist swimming beach.  There were a good number of people out.

This beach was completely different.  Due to man-made structures. it has been eroding for several weeks on and off.  Too bad the erosion, as you might suspect, was in renourishment sand and there is still tons of that.

The slope on the front of this beach was steep.  The beach curves sharply as it goes north to south.   After surveying the lay of the land I quickly went to the sharpest part of the curve where the force of the water onto the beach was greatest.  The water there was funneled higher up onto the slope.

I quickly went to the sharp point of the curve and immediately began to find coins.  It was a classic coin hole, but very high up on the beach.

The hole was created by the force of water being focused towards this part of the curve.

There were big swells with a primary period of about 11 seconds and a secondary of about 7 seconds.  That is important for what I am going to tell you about.

Sorry if this is confusing.  I should have taken my camera.  It would have been much easier.

After hitting the first coin in the coin hole I slowed down, stayed and worked the coin hole.  When the hole seemed worked out I checked north and south to see if there were any more coin holes to be worked, but I found no others.

If I could have chosen, I would have picked a time closer to low tide.  It wasn't easy working down the slope where the swells were being focused.

I mentioned the swells and the periods.  I tried to work low on the beach between swells as much as possible.  I was hurrying down the slope mostly in between swells or sets.  There was a lot of water coming and going over the coin hole that I was working.

I had several seconds between waves to work my way down the slope, detect the target, dig it and get it out before the next wave hit.  Of course I could work through swells sometimes, but  had to be careful when trying to recover a target in rushing water.

When the water went out, I hurried down behind it while swinging the coil.  But here is when it gets tricky.   If you get a signal on a steep slope either between waves or while the water is coming or going, you have to get it very securely in the scoop.  If you take a scoop of sand but the target is either very small, still on the slope and not covered by enough sand to hold it in place, or on the edge of sand in the scoop, or if the target falls out of the scoop, it is very possible that the water will quickly sweep the target away.

If you do not get the target in the first scoop and a lot of water is coming, one thing you can do is put your foot on the target to hold it so it won't get washed away.  Then dig again in between waves.

When you get the target in the scoop, move quickly up the slope and either sift or dump it on safe ground.

Sifting over swiftly moving water is dangerous if the item is small enough to fall through the holes in the scoop, or if the target is dropped or washes out of the scoop.

If I can tell from the signal that the object will not likely fall through the holes and if it is not in sand that will fall off the front of the scoop, then I'll use the water rushing down the slope to wash the sand through the holes in the scoop.  Keep the opening of the scoop facing up the slope.

My scoop is big and if I get a scoop full of wet sand, it can be very heavy for easy shaking and sifting.  Let the water returning down the slope go through the scoop and do the sifting for you.  Be careful though that the item is not on the edge where it can be washed out or can go through the holes.

It wasn't the easiest coin hole to work but it paid off in a short time.  In not even a half hour several coins were dug as well as the above ring.



Remains of the missing Malaysian airliner has possibly been found by using satellite images provided by Digital Globe, a commercial satellite company based in Colorado.  They provide high resolution satellite images via three satellites.  The images were made available so that individuals could search for debris from the airliner.

Here is what the following web site said.

DigitalGlobe used its satellites to capture some 3,200 square km of the area where the flight could have gone down--since then the area has updated to 24,000 square km--and it asked the community to help look through all of it to identify and flag anything of note. 

It took just a couple of days for 2 million or so volunteers to tag 645,000 items. The way the systems works is that it shows the same images to many different people, and if enough people tag the same little square on the grid, an expert will review that area to see if the item of interest is worth investigating.

Read more: http://hothardware.com/News/DigitalGlobe-Powers-Crowdsourced-Hunt-For-Missing-Malaysian-Flight-370/#ixzz2wXD4xnAr


http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-missing-malaysia-plane-20140320,0,1370580.story

Of course these same images could be used for identifying archaeological sites or treasure.

You can log in to the digital globe images by using the following link.

https://www.mydigitalglobe.com/myDigitalGlobe/#LOGIN

Use the user name "public" and password "view."

I think everybody in the world is doing that today so you might have trouble getting access.

In these days with massive data, it takes a lot of eyes and brains to analyze the data.  That is where the public came in.   I've expressed my opinions about that concerning the NSA data collection before.

I hurried this post, but that is it for today.


Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net