Saturday, December 24, 2016

12/24/16 Report - Merry Christmas From the TreasureGuide. Extinct Seal Tooth On Lake Worth. Small Sight Find.


Merry Christmas to all from the Treasure Guide!

Here is a Christmas wish to you from the 1950s.
Just a little time travel.
With all the Christmas activities, I don't have much for you today but wanted to wish you a Merry Christmas.

---

The tooth of a monk seal was found on the shore of Lake Worth.

According to Robert S. Carr, the conservancy’s executive director, the lake was believed to be a freshwater body until the area’s earliest settler, Augustus Oswald Lang, cut a channel across the barrier island around 1867. That resulted in changes in the lake’s salinity. Those are being studied by the conservancy through careful examination of animal remains.
Discovery of the tooth is the first evidence of the seal found in the area. Its presence is an indicator that the seal was hunted by prehistorical people.
Here is the link for more about that.
---

Dan B.,  who was a part of the huge 1715 Fleet find of the 2015 salvage season, offered this insightful response to yesterday's post.

I think that that the "flip of the fin" observation is fun because it exposes the reason why joy is important in your activities. Too many times we are distracted enough to miss a little gold glimmer. Thats why we have to be mindful and present. Enjoying what you are doing allows us to look at our surroundings clearly, instead of clouding our senses with drama or stress. If we are fretting about not finding the lobster, we could sure miss the find of a lifetime, even if it was staring us in the face. 

Thanks for the comment Dan!

---

Speaking of a little glimmer, yesterday I saw the smallest gold sparkle coming from the sand in a field.  I bent down to investigate and pinched the sand where it was coming from and picked it up.  When I opened my fingers this is the object that reflected the light. (Dime shown for comparison.)


It is the thing that goes on an earring post.  The funny thing about it is that I can't imagine how it ended up where it was.  Those kinds of things fascinate me.  I'm left wondering how in the world it got there.

I'll have to test it and see what I can learn about it.

I have a knack for noticing small things on the ground.  I like eye-balling and am in the habit of noticing things like that.

---

The second part of my series of post was delayed again.  I'll get back to that after Christmas.

Have a blessed and merry Christmas.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/article120609578.html#storylink=cpy