Monday, July 17, 2017

7/17/17 Report - Two Tropical Disturbances. Different Strokes. Ear Training. 1st Century Writing Tablets. Old Book Treasures.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.


Two Tropical Disturbances Now
Source: nhc.nooa.gov
The first one (orange) has about a 40% chance of becoming a cyclone in the next 48 hours.  They tend to move west/northwest, but we'll have to wait and see what they might do.

----


Everyone is not the same.  We are all different.  We have different sizes, shapes, strengths, weaknesses, attitudes, interests. skills and abilities.

Not everyone is going to make a career out of treasure hunting. You might be thankful for that.  It would mean everyone on the beach having a metal detector.  Not everyone is going to spend their life on hunting deep sea gold.  There are other things that need to be done in this big world anyhow.  And not everyone is going to hunt old coins, relics or modern jewelry.  There are a variety of types of treasure hunting and a variety of types of detectorist, just like there are a variety of types of people, careers and hobbies.

I wrote about an article proclaiming detecting the world's worst hobby.  Why was it the world's worst hobby for that person while being the world's best hobby for so many of others?  The answer would take longer than I'm willing to spend, so I'll just boil it down.   For some people its great; for others its not.  Some people like vanilla and others like chocolate.  Go figure.

Beyond that, I think that if Emily had more instruction and better support from the beginning, her experience and conclusions might have been different.  Yet the fact remains, that many of us did not have any training and started totally on our own and got hooked.  Maybe my first attempts would not have been so encouraging and habit-forming if I had not begun detecting on busy Florida beaches.  I don't know.

There was that time when I was much younger and my grandma got a radio shack detector that after a few attempts I found out wouldn't detect a coin.  It would detect larger objects.  I didn't get hooked on detecting then, but maybe I would if the detector was better.  Again, I don't know.  I barely remember that.

One thing I do know is that detecting has provided me a lot of education and entertainment.  The demands of life haven't permitted me to go at it as hard and heavy as I once did.  In fact, I haven't been getting out much at all lately.  Hopefully things will improve and I can get back at it.

Yesterday I mentioned that Emily said she found it hard to distinguish the various detector sounds.  One of the several reasons I recommend doing a lot of testing with various objects, especially those that you'd like to find, is to become familiar with the sounds and their meaning.  If you want to find gold, put a similar gold target on the ground and go over it time and time again until you can quickly and easily identify the sound.  In the past I talked a lot about doing that kind of testing.

There was an ear training course you could purchase for the Excalibur.  It might still be available.

---
Here is an article about an unusual find of 1st Century writing tablets.

The hoard of around 25 wooden writing tablets was discovered by an archaeological team at Vindolanda on Hadrian's Wall in Northumberland.

Consisting of letters, lists and personal correspondence, the items had been discarded towards the end of the 1st Century.

Work is under way to conserve the tables and decipher the messages...
Here is the link.

---

A Sotheby's auction including many fine old books on maritime history and related things has concluded.  For example, a lot of ship's journals and other papers relating to the African Slave Trade of the 1780s and 90s sold for $65,000.   Old books can be great treasures as well as resources.

Here is the link if you want to check out the other lots.

http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/2017/english-literature-l17404.html?cmp=email_L17404___aur_English-Literature_12-jul-2017

---

The surf hasn't change and their are no significant changes predicted yet.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net