Monday, July 24, 2017

7/24/17 Report - Type 5 1714 Mexico Escudo: More Details. Assay and Sampling of Precious Metals Reference. Get Smart.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

1714 Mexico Escudo.
Photo submitted by Captain Jonah Martinez.
If you've been following my posts, I first thought the the 2 escudo recently found by Grant of the Capitana was a 1714.  Then I noticed the two fleur de lis in the panel at the 4 or 5 o'clock position. The design shown in the Bowers and Ruddy catalog for 1715 coins showed two fleur de lis in that panel at the 4 or 5 o'clock position, but only one of the varieties for the 1714 Mexico escudos in the Bowers and Ruddy catalog showed two in the same location, I concluded that Grant's escudo might be a 1715 escudo.  There is also, however a 1714 variety that has two fleur de lis at that location, (See illustration below.) like the escudo shown above.

Type 5 1714 Mexico Escudo
Source: 1977 Bowers and Ruddy Auction Catalog

As you can see in the illustration, there are only two fleur de lis in the panel I've been discussing for the 1714 Mexico escudo (red arrow).  That differs from the variety I showed yesterday for the 1714, which had three at that part of the shield.

Captain Jonah sent me the photo of a clearly dated 1714 Mexico escudo (top of post) that shows two fleur de lis in the same field.  That escudo is similar but not exactly like the type five shown in the illustration.  There is no "o" above the "M" mint mark (blue arrow) on the type 5 illustration, but there is an "o" above the "M" on Jonah's coin..

 I can't see any other features that would in my mind definitely distinguish between the two dates.  Maybe someone else can.

Like I said many times before, I'm not an expert in numismatics, just an interested student.  I learned a little more by muddling around with this.  Hope you did too.

Thanks to Captain Jonah for sending such a great photo for study.

---

While doing some research on one of my longer standing mystery items, a 10 gram silver ingot or whatever, I found a great reference book.  The book is The Sampling and Assay of the Precious Metals, by Ernest Smith, published 1913.  Click on the title if you want to take a look at the free ebook.

What I've read in that book makes me think that the 10 gram silver ingot or button probably has something to do with the assay process.

Below is a brief excerpt from the book just to give you the idea.



---

Teresa T. sent in a link to a supplement that seems to be endorsed by famous people such as Stephen Hawking that is supposed to dramatically increase mental alertness and IQ.  I'm too old to get smart now, but here is the link.


---

I've been watching a fellow do some involved work and having a lot of trouble with it primarily due to poor planning and preparation.  An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

You might consider detecting early or later to avoid the hot mid-day sun and afternoon thunder storms.

---

We're still having a one to two foot surf on the Treasure Coast.  No change in sight.  The tides are big though.

There is no tropical activity of interest in the Atlantic or Gulf.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net