Tuesday, November 15, 2011

11/16/11 Report - Kang H'si and Predicted Rough Seas


Written by the Treasureguide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Piece of Kang H'si porcelain from the 1715 Fleet.

This piece is for sale on eBay. It has been mounted in a gold bezel and makes a nice piece of jewelry.

I showed a piece of Kanh H'si porcelain found on a Treasure Coast shipwreck beach in my 10/6/10 post.

It was brought from China, across Mexico and placed on ships of the 1715 Fleet.

This particular piece was found by a salvor, presumably in the ocean, but other pieces, such as the one I showed back in 2010, have been found on the beach.

Many older pieces of ceramics are blue on white, but much of what you see will not be find porcelain like Kang H'si.

If you look at common old broken plates, the edges will be thicker, made of a coarser material, and often yellowed. Porcelain will be relatively thin not be as porous looking.

Anyhow, Kang H'si is worth looking for.

I told the story about one time quite a few years ago when a detectorists found a stack of plates being uncovered in the side of a cut. The detectorist didn't know anything about Kang H'si and paid no attention to the plates. After learning that they might have been Kang H'si her returned to try to find them again but couldn't.

If the plates were Kang H'si and in good condition they would have been worth a pretty penny.

The eBay seller tells more of the story of the piece shown above and how they reached the Treasure Coast. You might want to look it up.

There are a number of alternate spellings. One other common spelling is Kangxi.


Notice that I posted a new poll asking about recent finds on the front page of this blog. We'll find out what most people have been finding.


A few days ago I posted a photo of a fossil find, and as a result I heard from Fred D. who really knows his fossils. That is something I really like. This blog has readers with a lot of knowledge. I often get answers to my questions. There are a lot of questions that can come up. I think that is one thing that I really like about detecting and beach combing in general - all of the puzzles. Anyhow, I really enjoy learning and often learn something from the many informed readers of this blog.

I often talk about non-metallic items because they can be valuable, and they can provide important information. I think detectorists can improve their detecting by paying attention to the non-metallic items that they might see. That is a very broad topic though, and I don't want to try to get into that any more today.

Oh, in case you were wondering Fred said that the fossil bone was probably either a Dugong rib, or whale or dolphin rib,and going back to Miocene or Pliocene.


Here is the good news for today. the seas will remain around three feet today and tomorrow, but Friday it will increase up to seven feet or more.

As you know, it takes more than high seas. We didn't get much erosion the last time we had high seas, although we did get some at certain beaches.

Looking at the predicted wind direction, my guess is that the best erosion is likely to occur Thursday night.

We're certainly getting some rough seas this year. Hopefully we'll start to see a good cumulative effect if this keeps up.


Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net