Wednesday, November 30, 2011

11/30/11 Report - Higher Seas Coming & One Interesting Spot


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Eroded Spot This Morning.

This spot was more eroded yesterday, as I'll explain below. You can see the shells and the new fill at the bottom of the cut in the photo.


What a difference a day makes. I've said that before, and I'll say it again.

Yesterday I found a real wash-out. I saw things uncovered that I hadn't seen for years. I tried to take a photo, but my camera just wouldn't work. When I got home, I found out that one of the batteries was completely dead. Oh well.

Even though most of the beaches are generally not much good now, this morning I revisited a washed out area that I found yesterday. It was probably less than a hundred yards in length, but had been eroding very nicely. A number of layers were visible. Black sand, brown sand, shells, even clay was exposed. You can see some of that in the photo.

Sometimes those kinds of spots appear very suddenly. And then disappear just as quickly.

Anything of almost any age could have popped out of that cut. Unfortunately no shipwreck coins or ingots did. It was fun anyhow.

I always enjoy working coin holes, and there were a lot at this eroded spot yesterday, and some today, although fewer.

And I used discrimination more than I had used it for many many years. Yesterday there were too many targets, and I only had a very limited time to detect, so I did some skimming. After taking out the quick and easy targets, I used pinpoint mode for a short time, and found some coins that I missed before.

As I said, today I went back to the same spot, and it had filled in some. I wish I got a photo yesterday. A few feet of sand was covering some of the things that were completely uncovered yesterday.

Same Spot This Morning.

You can see some of the various layers. The black is clay.

I think the reddish brown sand is an older layer that has not been exposed for a very long time. There was a lot of gray fine sand on top of some of the older layers.

The wind is from the west and the seas are relatively calm. This is a good time to check the low tide zone.

It looks like we're going to get rough seas this weekend. Seven foot seas are predicted for Friday and Saturday. That could be good.

As always, we'll hope the wind comes from the right direction.


Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net