Tuesday, October 20, 2015

10/20/15 Report - Morning Beaches and Finds. Piece of Gold Chain and Copper Connector. Also More on Fork Handle and Charles IIII Coin.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Piece of Gold Chain Found This Morning on a Treasure Beach
Copper Connector Found This Morning Close To The Chain.
There are a couple of finds.  There were more found yesterday and today.

Above Turtle Trail Looking South This Morning.

Most of the beaches didn't change much since yesterday.

North of The Bend North of Seagrape Trail
John Brooks beach had a lot of sea weed on it this morning.  That is a sign of a beach that is accumulating sand rather than eroding.

There were things to be dug at all the beaches that I visited.  Most were not shipwreck related, but there were some that were.

I'd say that Turtle Trail South was the place to be today.

The weather won't change much the next two or three days and I'm not expecting the beaches to change much.  I don't think any real good new holes will open up but I would expect some left-overs to be found.   I think some spots will improve a bit while others deteriorate.  Conditions are still better than they were a week or so ago.

I'm sticking with my "two" beach conditions rating for another day.

---

In my 10/18/15 post I asked for any information I could get on two items that I posted.  John P had information on both.

Concerning the coin that I thought was a Ferdinand, John P. gave this correction.  Here is what John said.

Hi, it looks to be a Charles 1111 by the design of the head, and I can just make out 1800 date. It also has the FM mint mark which puts it between 1791 and 1801...

He also knew about the fork handle, saying,  As for the fork handle, I have taken many of these apart for the sterling handles and they can have a putty in them or some even lead. That one has a very common design. It may be a pewter handle as you mentioned, but I only have scraped the sterling handles. They were made for many years and mostly in the 1800's through current times.


Thanks much John


Ivor Hume, in his book A Guide To Artifacts of Colonial America, said "Silver and silver-plated handles of the first half of the eighteenth century were made in two cast sections joined down the middle, in the second half the entire handle was often machine stamped in very thin silver and filled with plaster composition which gave it weight but little durability."

The one I showed was joined down the middle.  I think you can see that in the photos I posted.

It came from a 1715 Fleet beach.

Hume's book can be a help in identifying the date of some artifacts.

---

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net