Sunday, October 4, 2015

10/4/15 Report - Beach Emerald Found. Iron Artifacts. Don Diego De Vargas. 7 Foot Surf Predicted For Tuesday.



Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Emerald Found On A Treasure Coast Treasure Beach



You never know what you might see on a beach.  Here is an emerald found on one of the Treasure Coast beaches.
It was in a shell pile.

It is green, but the light reflecting in the photo doesn't show the color very well.  I tried to get the light to show the facets, which wasn't good for the color.   It is partly encased in matrix.

Others have found emeralds on the beach too.

That is another reminder to keep your eyes open when detecting.





---

The most read post of September was the  9/7/15 Report - Great Numismatic Study of Dug Pistareens. Tropical Storm Grace Headed This Way. Ring Beach Find.

The most "google plused" posts of September were  the 9/6/15 Report - Bernard Romans And The 1715 Fleet. Tropical Storm Grace, and  the 9/23/15 Report - One Way To Add Value And Interest To Your Treasures. North Carolina Beaches Producing. Sea Glass Web Sites.  They were tied.

---

You'll find a lot of iron on the treasure beaches.  Most of it is modern, but once in a while you can find an old iron item.  Shipwreck spikes are not real rare.  They are often found heavily encrusted.

If you find a nice old iron item, it has to be treated properly or it could eventually crumble into nothing.  It is a shame to see a nice old piece rust and fall apart.

The first step is to get it into a water bath so the salt will leach out.

I won't get into conservation methods today.  I've done that before, but you can't just leave them sit around.

Here are some nice old iron pieces that have undergone treatment at the conservation lab.

Various Iron Shipwreck Items At The Conservation Lab.
Notice that ax head at the bottom right corner.  Also the bar shot.

---

Here is an interesting read.

To the Royal Crown Restored: The Journals of Don Diego de Vargas, New Mexico, 1692 - 1694.


Click here to read.

It is about the restoration of the government after a revolt by the natives.

---

They say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  I think it is just as true to say that treasure is where you see it.  It seems that some can see treasure where others can't.  I wonder if there aren't some people who can't see treasure at all.

As I grow older my idea of treasure changes.  Last night I was reminded of one treasure that I hadn't appreciated enough.

My dad wasn't the warm fuzzy type.  He didn't give out praise and encouragement.  I don't think he knew how because he never got it himself, not having a father around and being on his own from the time he was very young.

Every Saturday evening he drove me several miles to where the newspapers were dropped off at a gas station on old U.S. 40.  We'd assemble them in the truck, then he'd drive me back to our neighborhood where I'd deliver the papers door to door.

It was a rural area where there were farms with homes scattered between the old farms, so the paper route spread out over I don't know how many miles.

I remember the old farm houses. At the first old farm house on top of a hill where my grandfather was raised in the early 1900s, the dogs were always sleeping on the front porch steps, and I'd step over them to get to the screen door.  The chickens were pecking around in the yard.  It looked just like the house on The Waltons except it was on top of a big hill on a winding unpaved road.

At the next farm there was often a bull right next to the road in front of the house.  I was afraid of that big old bull, and wondered how a little stake in the ground and a chain attached to a ring in his nose was to hold supposed to hold him.  I never trusted it, but I guess it worked.

Then on through the route.  I think I made $2.50 a week.  I don't know how many houses there were.  I'd guess maybe fifty.  And that about works out since I got a nickle a paper.

I had appreciated it before to some extent, but it really hit me today, about how dad spent his time and gas money every Saturday evening to give me the lessons that I learned on my paper route.  Maybe it was as much about spending time together.  Now he is gone.  And now, sixty some years later, I'm old enough to see how much of a treasure it was.  Thanks dad.  It means more than anything I could ever dig up.

---

The surf web sites haven't changed much.  The prediction for Tuesday is now for a surf of around 7 feet.  I think it will come down to the wind, and I don't think it is going to do the trick.  We will get some winds from the north on Tuesday, but it doesn't look very strong.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net