Thursday, October 22, 2015

10/22/15 Report - Heart and Royal Cobs. Gold Crown. 10,000 Year-Old Spear Head. Continued 2 On The Beach Detecting Conditions Rating Scale.




No cobs, but Paul D. did find gold.

These are Paul's finds from the 20th.  Notice the gold crown at the bottom right.  Hope you weren't thinking of the other kind of crown.

You never know what you might find.  I've found a few dentures over the years, and bowling balls and pool balls in the ocean.

---


Here is a neat promotional video for the upcoming Sedwick Coins auction.  It features heart-shaped cobs and royals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AmwEG98lP8&hd=1

---

A beach comber discovered a 10,000 year-old spear head.  I'll say it again  - if you are out there looking around, you never know what you might find.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/beachgoer-discovers-10000-year-spearhead-hold-clues-prehistoric/story?id=34526366

Thanks to Dean for alerting me to that story.

---

I received the following email from Bruce.

Don't want to take up a lot of your time, but wanted to thank you for what you do. I have been reading your blog for years. I just bought a detector and although I have found nothing but junk so far it is exciting to try. 

The blog is just great, I feel guilty sometimes absorbing it all for free, so thanks for all you do!!!!

Bruce B.

Those kind of emails keep me going.  Thanks to all who send info and encouragement.

---

Cobs are being found.  They aren't real plentiful, but enough to keep it interesting.

Beaches change in subtle ways.  Sometimes it isn't noticeable when sand is moved.  Maybe it will only be a small new dip, or a new slice from the cliff.

You can't always tell by looks either.  Sometimes feel is important. An area might get firm as underlying layers are exposed.  I pay attention to how firm the sand is as I walk along.

Mushy sand is not a good sign.  And neither is sea weed, although there are times when the sea weed is on top of good ground.

I'm keeping my 2 rating on my Treasure Coast Treasure Beach Detecting Conditions Rating Scale for now and probably a couple more days.

Friday we're supposed to have a little bump in the size of the surf, but not much.

I'd guess that beach conditions will remain pretty much unchanged until that crease I talked about yesterday disappears.

I think any peal back in the surface layer of sand will reveal a few more deeper targets in select locations.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net