Tuesday, October 6, 2015

10/6/15 Report - 16th and 17th Century New World Shipbuilding. Sampling and Detecting Strategies.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.


Some Artifacts At The Conservation Lab.
You have to make decisions.  Hopefully they are good strategic decisions based upon information.

One decision is which detector to use.  I'm not talking about which detector to buy, although that will determine what you have available to use.

As you probably know I talk about detectors as being something like gulf clubs.  Sometimes one will be the best choice and sometimes another will be the best choice.

Yesterday I was digging a lot of deep holes. It was tiring, but I had a reason for doing that.  I thought there might be some shipwreck spikes to be found, and  I wanted to know if there might be shipwreck material in the deeper layers of sand.

As it turned out I didn't find any spikes.  I did find some iron rods and things, but nothing definitive.

If I just wanted to quickly skim the coins I would have put away my driver and pulled out my putter. Of course sometimes coins are deeper, but most often when coins come out of erosion, they are not very deep.  In fact, they are most often in the first inch or two.

By digging big deep holes I got a good look at the deeper layers.  Under about a foot of sand there was a layer of modern junk along one stretch.  It got covered maybe back some years ago.

I often do some sampling and then make decisions based upon what I learn.  In some cases it takes longer to get a good sample than other times.  Once you get a good sample, you can then change strategies.

---

A couple cargo ships went down in the Bahamas during Hurricane Joaquin.  It appears that lives might have been lost as well as the ships and cargo.  Don't forget that hurricanes cause a lot of problems.

---

Below is a link to an interesting article on ship manufacture in the New World.

New Spain provided great lumber, but the iron had to be brought from Spain.  The large trees of South America actually allowed larger beams to be constructed from one tree rather than assembled as would be the case if the same ship was constructed in Europe.

Spanish Ships and Shipbuilding in the Atlantic Colonies, Sexteenth and Seventeenth Centuries, by Chuck Meide, Dec. 2002.

http://www.academia.edu/3258279/A_Plague_of_Ships_Spanish_Ships_and_Shipbuilding_in_the_Atlantic_Colonies_Sixteenth_and_Seventeenth_Centuries

When you go to this site it looks like you have to register to download it, but you can read it online without doing all of that.

Here are just a couple interesting excerpts.


That will give you some idea of the type of information you might find in this work.

---

There was a shark bite at Pepper Park yesterday.  It was on the foot and in shallow water.  They closed the park, but it is probably open again.

---

Happy hunting,
Treasureguide@comcast.net