Monday, December 24, 2012

12/24/12 Report - Wishing a Blessed Christmas to All


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.


Vintage Christmas Card From 1910.


The above card is an actual Christmas card that was sent in 1910.  Unlike most of today's Christmas cards which open, this one, and many like it from the period, are more like a post card even though they were sent in an envelope.  Today it will serve as my Christmas greeting to each and everyone of you who read this blog. 

If people weren't interested in this blog, I would have given up on it some time ago.  I am always glad to hear from any of the many fine readers of this blog. 

Everybody is busy and there are a gazillion things you could look at on the internet.  For anyone to chose to spend their time on this blog as opposed to the millions and millions of other choices is a real compliment.  I notice that the blog will probably reach half a million hits some time in January.

I left yesterday's post on a little longer than usual for a few reasons.  One is that I wanted to make sure that people had a good chance of reading it.   It speaks of one thing that I think is especially important about detecting and that can easily be missed or forgotten.  I also thought it was especially fitting for the Christmas season, which is a good time to reflect on family and some of the more important things in life.

I received some emails in response to that post and was gratified to hear that people appreciated it and got that aspect of the detecting hobby.

Treasures do indeed come in many forms - the best are not physical at all.  Sharing time with friends and making new memories are among the better ones.   Physical objects point to something deeper and more enduring.  Maybe you got that point from my last post.

Like I said, the card above was an actual Christmas card.  It was sent to my grandfather.   I don't know how I acquired it now, but I always had an appreciation for old things and wanted to preserve them.

I often show a variety of types of treasures and discuss how they can be valuable.  This type of treasure (ephemera), like other types of treasures usually provides clues.  On the envelope that this card came in, there is an address, which since I know that the card was sent in 1910, points me to an old home site that might be a good detecting site.  I know that it goes back at least to the early 20th Century and probably earlier.

As I often say, treasures will often provide a clue or point you to other treasures.  Don't neglect ephemera as being potentially worth something economically, but more importantly, as a possible source of clues that can point you to additional treasures.

Here are a couple of Christmas cards from the same time period with their envelopes.  Notice the colorful fancy designs inside the envelopes.  Again, both are addressed and provide clues to an home site that has to have some age to it.


Antique Christmas Cards With Original Envelopes.

 
Always look for clues to good detecting sites.  Old books, postcards and other old paper products that can provide good clues.  If you don't know where to find good clues like this, keep your eyes open in antique stores, maybe while you are shopping for Christmas gifts.  You can find them in thrift stores too.  You don't have to buy them.  Just browse and take down notes.

I just realized that I didn't follow up on my previously mentioned topic of visualizing the past.  I'll have to get back to that some other time.


On the Treasure Coast the surf is back down to around 2 - 4 feet, and will be decreasing a little again.  I haven't been out to the beach much for personal observations.  I've been busy but will try to get some beach photos soon.

Low tide will be a little after 11:15 AM on Christmas Eve.


Have a blessed Christmas.
TreasureGuide@comcast.net