Thursday, November 19, 2015

11/19/15 Report - Thanksgiving Before The Pilgrims. Gold Coins and Ingots. The Real Treasure.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

A press release dated Nov. 18, 2015 claims Spanish settlers celebrated the "first" Thanksgiving, in St. Augustine 50 years before the Pilgrims arrived in the New World on the Mayflower. If you follow that same line of thought, the "first" Thanksgiving could have actually been celebrated on the North American continent by Chinese or Norse sailors if you don't count the "Native Americans" who must have eaten numerous meals thankfully tens of thousands of years earlier.  Just another attempt by a supposed "scholar" to make news and appear scholarly by challenging tradition with a pseudointellection proposition.  If you really want to talk "first" Thanksgiving, credit a monkey who was happy a banana fell on his head and gladly consumed it.  The monkey would have been nearly as likely to utter something resembling the word "Thanksgiving" as would Pedro Menendez de Aviles. Hey, we get it.  Cultural traditions are seldom or never totally factual, but there are "real" reasons they have become continuing traditions.  Don't overlook that.

Here is the link to the article about the first real Thanksgiving that we all really celebrate without knowing it.  Really?!

http://news.ufl.edu/articles/2015/11/before-the-pilgrims-floridians-celebrated-the-real-first-thanksgiving.php


----

Chinese archaeologists on Tuesday discovered 75 gold coins and hoof-shaped ingots in an aristocrat's tomb that dates back to the Western Han Dynasty (206 BC - 24 AD).
The gold objects -- 25 gold hoofs and 50 very large gold coins -- are the largest single batch of gold items ever found in a Han Dynasty tomb. They were unearthed from the tomb of the first "Haihunhou" (Marquis of Haihun) in east China's Jiangxi Province.
The coins weigh about 250 grams each, while the hoofs' weights vary from 40 to 250 grams, said Yang Jun, who leads the excavation team...
Here is the link for the rest of that article.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2015-11/17/c_134826435.htm

---

As I pushed my elderly mother around an amusement park in a wheel chair the other day, I couldn't help noticing the many parents pushing their small children in strollers.  I thought about how rolls change with the passing of time.  Someday some of those the children will be pushing their parents like I was.

One of the most joyful things in life is to watch a child become strong, capable and more self-sufficient, and to me, one of the saddest things is to watch a parent go the other way.

As I held the hand that once held me up, I felt no strength in it.  It was now a hand that it seemed would crumble if I held it too tightly.

That was the hand of a person who loved me, dressed me and fed me.  It is my privilege to try to return some of that love while I can.  I won't have that privilege long enough.  I rather hold that hand than a thousand gold coins.

Give thanks and celebrate.

---

Here we go again.  Thursday of next week MagicSeaWeed is predicting a seven to eleven foot surf for the Treasure Coast.  Will it happen?  I doubt it.  But here is to hoping.

In the mean time we are having something more on the order of a four foot surf.  That is better than nothing and better than what we had all summer.  You might be able to find a few spots of small erosion, but they will be few and small.

Happy hunting and finding,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net