Saturday, March 30, 2019

3/30/19 Report - Beach Metal Detecting Reports. The TCTBDC Rating Scale.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.


Frederick Douglass Beach Saturday Morning.
I took a look at John Brooks and Frederick Douglass beaches first this morning.  They both had a lot of seaweed.  Sand had accumulated since yesterday, and they weren't much good before that.

There are some places where significant erosion did occur this week, as I showed yesterday, but from what I've been able to observe, those are relatively few and far between.

I did not upgrade my Treasure Coast Treasure Beaches Detecting Conditions rating even though there are some eroded beaches because the few beaches that are significantly eroded are not the productive shipwreck treasure beaches.  My rating scale gives my estimate of the chance of finding shipwreck treasure coins and artifacts on the beaches - not modern items.

After looking at Brooks and Douglass, I returned to the beach that I worked yesterday, but new sand had accumulated, so I thought about where I might find a more eroded beach without driving too many miles.  I then thought of a beach that I hadn't visited for a few years but thought might be eroded.  When I arrived, I found it was eroded as nicely as I hoped (below).

One Eroded Treasure Coast Beach Saturday Morning.
 Eroded Treasure Coast Beach Saturday Morning.
On the way I stopped and looked at a couple other beaches that were not eroded at all.

I need to clean, inspect and photograph some of my finds from the past two days.  At this time I think the flat buttons are 1800s.

Joe D. sent a report from the Jupiter area.

… I opted to hit a couple local spots in Juno and Jupiter today, not only due to time constraints, but also to add to my beach reading experience, over and above the detector i'm learning!

Here's what i observed and found at this beach: Yesterday evening l reviewed inlet cam pics which was one defining factor! This was the only beach that had a "cut", or more like a "soft cliff" ( i made several stops to check others), Which i observed upon arrival! I made several passes from water line, to bottom of soft cliff and so on, up the beach. Not a ton of coins, and still very scattered, but the majority were flipped up in the first several feet at top of cut!(The wet parts above the soft cliff)! Further back near the dry sand was the light aluminum
scrap pieces! Also, light stuff caught in seaweed below cut!

...If i had only been more interested and observent back in the early 80's when i originally started detecting, and the finds were more numerous!

Found my first dental bridge (not gold), a tiny bead, many small aluminum pieces, that my previous detector would bypass! Im hoping i can now get small gold and silver, which seemed to elude me before!

Experence and/ or detector?? Only time will tell!

And to update on renurishment here, a huge beach dozer passed me as i was leaving lot, so changes coming soon now! Maybe they will dredge up some good stuff this time!

Also included a picture of Marine 1 and Marine 2, landing the other day right after flying over me! Pretty Cool!

Jupiter Inlet and Beach
Photo submitted by Joe D.
Beach at Jupiter Inlet
Photo submitted by Joe D.
Recent Finds
Photo by Joe D.
Thanks for the report and photos Joe!  Nice pictures of Marine 1 & 2 (not posted) too.

I heard a couple days ago that there was erosion in the Carlin Park area down to the white rocks.

Some of the beaches up here looked like there could be coins just over the berm in many places.  I did notice that but didn't really check it out.   That sometimes happens when you have a good cut that gets washed over.  I've actually seen coins flip up over the cut while I was detecting in front of the cut.

I did a lot of digging today but stopped before I aggravated my back.  I'm glad to report that even though I've done more detecting this week than I've done in a long time, my back is not giving me trouble.  I'm just being careful.

I haven't really looked at what I dug today, but did notice one wheatie in the scoop.

---

As you can see from the chart below, the surf will be decreasing a little for a few days.



Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net