Wednesday, March 20, 2019

3/20/19 Report - How Some Treasure Coast Beaches Are Shaping Up. Big Tides and More Surf Tomorrow.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

John Brooks Beach This Morning.
I didn't see John Brooks yesterday, but it looked to me like the last high tide took away some sand.  The average cut was about three feet high.  Some places were higher and others lower.

It looked very similar to how it looked back a few weeks ago when there was a big cut.  There were no layers or shells or other major features.  It was just a uniform brown sand.

I checked it out and there were very few widely scattered targets.

John Brooks Beach This Morning.
The cuts ran to the south, decreasing some at Douglass beach.

Frederick Douglass Beach This Morning.
The cuts were smaller at Frederick Douglass beach.

There were some modern coins near the water line at Frederick Douglass.

Blind Creek was cut pretty good Monday, but was mostly filled back in today.

Walton Rocks Beach This Morning.

Maybe I did better yesterday than I thought.  I thought it was all junk, now I'm not so sure.  Some items were encrusted.  I'm pondering what I want to do with them and hope to have some photos later.

The biggest thing for me yesterday and today was that I was able to detect an hour or so without any back problems.  You might remember that I wrote around a year ago that my detecting days might be over.  My back has been better since then, and although I kept my detecting time way down the past couple of days so I wouldn't overwork my back, my back took the exercise with no big problems.  That is a big relief even though I was frustrated that I couldn't put the time in that I wanted to.

Dale J. sent me a variety of photos from around noon yesterday.  He said, The only beaches with only very small new cuts were Golden Sands and N of McLarty.  I didn't see Golden Sands beach yesterday.  His photo or Rio Mar also didn't show any erosion.

Thanks much for the photos and report Dale.

I have some more finds to clean off and photograph.   One of the more interesting ones is heavily encrusted, although I don't know what it is yet.



Source: MagicSeaWeed.com


The surf is supposed to be even a little higher tomorrow.  The tides are big now too.

The wind has been wobbling and one day one beach will be cut and the next day it will fill again, and another beach will be mush one day and then cut the next.

To use my beach conditions rating scale, I'm tempted to give it a three rating, but it just doesn't seem quite that good.  Of course, I wasn't able to look at all the beaches.  There are just too many beaches and too little time.  Right now I'm wavering between a two and three rating.  I wouldn't be surprised if a few cobs were found, but I would expect the finds to be relatively few.

It takes a lot of perseverance.  You might remember my success formula.  Time spent detecting is one of the biggest factors.

Scouting is also important.  Sometimes time spent scouting is almost as important as time spent detecting.  It doesn't matter how much you detect if you are in a area that isn't producing what you are seeking.  Of course if you are out there a lot, you have a better chance of being there at the right time.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net