Thursday, March 21, 2019

3/21/19 Report - Lot of Detectorists On The Treasure Coast Today. One More Day of Good Surf.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Big Hole Being Dug This Afternoon by the Seagrape Beach Access.
Smile - You were favored by TreasureGuide Cam.

It was a beautiful sunny day today - the type I don't like.

I liked Monday.  So windy and rainy.  Monday was one of those days that reminded me of so many good metal detecting days of the past.  I don't like to go to the beach so much when it is sunny.  But I went today to look around.

Monday I met a few of the local metal detection experts that showed up a little while after I did.  Today there were a good number of people metal detecting the beaches, including some snow birds that were obviously new to the hobby.

I only visited two beaches today.  Turtle Trail and Seagrape Trail.  That reminds me, I need to recharge my detector batteries.  Neither of those beaches looked great, and there wasn't much digging going on.

North of the Seagrape Access Looking South.

These beaches were filling a little again.

North of Seagrape Trail.
First I stopped at Turtle Trail and saw Warren leaving.  A couple other detectorists were behind him, and there were a couple beginners up by the beach access.

South of the Turtle Trail Access.

South of the Turtle Trail Access.

The higher surf of Thursday is supposed to be later.  We'll see how that goes.  Then the surf is supposed to start decreasing into the weekend.

I'm definitely at only a 2 on my TCTBDC rating scale now.  We have one more chance for things to improve a little tonight.  


Source: MagicSeaWeed.com.
Even where we had erosion this week, it wasn't getting into older layers of sand.  We had too much accumulation and too much renourishment sand out there.  In most places you could see a large protective sand bar in front of the beaches at low tide.

The things I found were mostly things that you expect to see near the surface, although a couple were fairly deep.

For example, this cookie.

Coin Enclosed in Sand Crust.
The sand crust makes up much of the bulk of this lump and gives it a lower total density.  Therefore, it "rides" higher than the coin would alone.  I still haven't settled on terminology to describe things that are more readily moved on a beach.  I'm thinking of "portable" and degrees of portability, although that just doesn't sound quite right to me for some reason.

I'm pretty sure there is a coin in that crust, although at this point I have no idea what type. 

Piece of Copper.
The copper also is more portable and rides high in the sand, but in this case it is mostly because of its shape.

Warren told me that Kellyco is going to have a close-out sale.  He thought it might be for items other than detectors.  I haven't looked up the details yet.  You might want to.

I have a lot more to talk about, but have just been keeping up with beach conditions lately.  When the surf decreases, I'll catch up on a lot of other things.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net