Tuesday, March 12, 2019

3/12/19 Report - Internet Tool For Identifying Civil War Soldiers From Old Photos. Genealogical Research. Slightly Increasing Surf.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

 Source:  PopularMechanics link shown below.

A computer science professor has built a tool that could allow people to identify Civil War veterans in their families with the help of artificial intelligence.

Kurt Luther, an assistant professor at Virginia Tech, developed a platform called Photo Sleuth after he discovered a picture of a distant relative who had fought in the Civil War...



The Civil War Photo Sleuth project launched in August 2018 as a web-based platform at the National Archives in Washington, D.C.

Users can upload photos, tag them with visual clues – such as the color of a coat, shoulder straps, collar insignia, or inscriptions – and connect them to profiles of Civil War soldiers with more detailed records of military service...


Here is the link for that article sent to me by William K.  Thanks William!


A Popular Mechanics article on the subject describes how it works.

The Photo Sleuth works like this. First, a user signs up for free. Then they upload Civil War-era photos, front and back to discourage the use of mere printouts. Then they tag the photo with visual cues: What is their collar insignia? How many chevrons does their uniform have? And, perhaps the most important, North or South?

Here is that link.


In the past I've encouraged you to research your own family history, and when possible visit the locations that were occupied by you or your ancestors in the past and dig up some pieces that you or your family lost.  I was able to dig up some of my toys from the 1950s, for example, and a few rings and other things belonging to me and my family.

I've also been able to detect the house where a couple generations of my wife's family lived and found some nice old things.

It is now possible to learn a lot about your family and your ancestors by using tools that are freely available on the internet.

My wife has become skilled at genealogical research.  Her family goes back to Europe and she is now in communication of extended family overseas.  She has discovered some very interesting stories too, involving wars and family members who died in Nazi concentration camps.

When my grandmother got the documentation she needed to become a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution, she was able to document one ancestor who fought in the Revolutionary War.  Since my wife has been doing genealogical research on the internet, she has run across about a half dozen of my ancestors who fought in the Revolutionary War.  Some were more direct lines than the one my grandmother was able to find.

The same tools that can be used for genealogical research can also be used to find clues to good metal detecting sites.  I've heard some say how difficult it is to get permission to detect on land sites.  When you have a family connection, that might be a bit easier.  I know when I visited the place that I grew up after it was sold, the new owner knowing that I grew up there was very hospitable.

My wife highly recommends the following internet sites.

The best one is www.familysearch.org.  It is run by the Later Day Saints and is free.  You will have to create an account.  And of course, like anything, you might have to spend a little time learning to use it.

Another one she uses a lot is www.findagrave.com.  It is also free.  When you look up grave, you will also find helpful additional information about the person.

Ancestry.com is not free, but they do permit a free preview period.  If you know what you are after you can sign up for the preview period and do your research, and then continue with a paid subscription if you like.  You can save the family trees and stuff that you develop during the free preview.

While I have a lot of old photos, I do not have showing Civil War soldiers.  Too bad.  I know some of my ancestors were in the Civil War and one was injured at Gettysburg.

Very often you'll be able to find the pension applications filed by the widow.

Here is an old photo that shows my grandfather (middle) and his sister and brother.  That was when taking a photo was a big deal.



No particular reason other than I think it is very cute.

----

Anyone want to send me a personal story or comments on the recently completed TCAS hunt?  I'd like to hear from you.

---

So now the FBI now saving us from college admissions cheating.  Now I feel safe and am so relieved that that the college admissions process is totally fair for the first time in the last hundred years. No more legacy admissions, preferences for wealthy donors, college prep schools or SAT prep programs.

---


We are expecting a three to five foot surf on the Treasure Coast.  Also moderate tides.  The wind is now coming from the north and some cooler air is moving in.

I don't expect to be able to take a look for a couple of days.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net