Sunday, March 3, 2019

3/3/19 Report - Saddle Ridge Hoard Article. Treasure Coast Coin Club. A Find. Dealing With Laws, Technicalities and Inconsistencies.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.



I gave a link to the Coin World article entitled Who Buried the Saddle Ridge Hoard.  If you went to the web site, you found out that you had to sign up to read the article.  (Sorry about that.)  The Coin World article is very good.  You seldom see that depth of research on a hoard.

I actually read the article in the print version of the March 18, 2018 Coin World Weekly, which I received from the friendly people from the Treasure Coast Coin Club that were at the recent Vero Coin Show.  Members of the coin club were giving out old issues of various numismatic magazines.

I much enjoyed the magazines I received, including the one containing the article on the Saddle Ridge Hoard, and so I'd like to give the coin club some free publicity.  See the banner above, and visit http://treasurecoastcoinclub.org/ or facebook. for more information.

There are yearly dues, but they were handing out coupons at the Vero show good for one year's dues.

You should be able to get the March 18, 2018 issue through your library.  If they don't have it, you can request an interlibrary loan.

Dean and Marie R. sent me this link for a little info on the Saddle Ridge Hoard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saddle_Ridge_Hoard

---

Dale J. was checking out some of the renourishment sand being pumped out of the Sebastian Inlet and found these bones.









Finds and photos by Dale J.








The one is definitely bone, and maybe the others too.   I'm pretty sure the large one is a joint.

If someone can give more information, let me know.

Dale said others were also checking out the renourishment sand.

---

Someone asked me where you can metal detect in the water along the Treasure Coast.  Unfortunately that is a very difficult question to answer for a variety of reasons, so I won't even try, except to say that you are not supposed to detect in the water in leased areas.

It is not easy to say where the lease boundaries are or to know where there might be new leases.  I have given information on the location of some of the leases in past years.  You can still find those posts if you search the blog.

There are federal, state and local laws.  There are a lot of legalities and technicalities, but there are also often inconsistencies.  There are some areas where you will be told that you can't even detect on the dry beach, but at other times you will be told that it is ok.

On occasion life guards or others will simply decide that they will not allow people to metal detect a beach or area without any specific legal authority.  Generally, I advise simply cooperating.

There are some places where it is technically illegal to metal detect, but where it is routinely done and no one really seems to care.

Some places you can legally detect but can't dig or recover old items.  It is really too tricky to summarize.

You also have to be careful to not harm protected plants or animals too.  Sea oats is one protected plant that covers much of our dunes.

I was once told by a lifeguard that I could not detect a specific area.  I just moved on, but later called the county officials so I would know what I legally could and couldn't do, and they told me that I could detect there.  Subsequently I did detect there numerous times, but not when the lifeguards were present.

On another occasion I started metal detecting in the water at a county park and was told by the lifeguard that I couldn't detect  there.  I simply put my metal detector away, but later called the county officials who said that there were regulations against metal detecting in that park, but they were going to be changed soon.  As a result  I was one of the first to know when it became legal to detect in that park.  It turned out to be very worthwhile.

There are simply too many technicalities and inconsistencies to simply say where you can and where you can't metal detect.  Sometimes it is legal but you won't be able to do it without conflict, and other times it is illegal but is done routinely (within limits) with full knowledge of the authorities.

I might have said something that isn't 100 percent accurate above, but what it comes down to is being smart and exercising good judgment.  Some people tend to create problems for themselves when they don't have to.  Don't be one of those.

---

On the Treasure Coast we still have a few days of one-foot surf.  The tides remain small.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net