Friday, March 29, 2019

3/29/19 Report - Beach Conditions and Cuts On The Treasure Coast. A Few Finds. Decreasing Surf.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Treasure Coast Beach Cut Friday Morning.
Yesterday I struck out.  I spent more time driving than detecting and dug practically nothing.  This morning was different.  I enjoyed myself and made some interesting observations.

There was a number of targets down close to the water line at low tide.  Many were just discolored clad coins, some sinkers and fishing equipment, but also a few more interesting pieces.

The cut shown above was not close to any of the beach accesses.  I had to walk a way to find it. 

John Brooks Beach Friday Morning.
Like everywhere today, the water had been up and way over the berm.  You can see how mush the slope was if you look at the depth of the tire tracks.
John Brooks Beach This Morning.


Frederick Douglas Beach Looked very much like John Brooks.  You can see from the picture below how far back the water had been.





Frederick Douglass Beach Friday Morning.

Water Running Over Sand Bar and Back Out.
I started to put together a post on how sand and objects move on a beach, including some things that I've recently learned to better understand, and I saw a very interesting thing happening in the shallow water today.  I tried several times to capture it on video, but manage to capture it.

There is a sand hump in front of the beach.  At low tide there is a little trough in the swash zone.  The water would come in, and then as it ran back out, made a nicely formed wave reaching at least a foot in height that would collide with the water coming in over the hump.  The collision of the incoming and outgoing wave was pretty good.  I really wish I was able to get it on video.

Iron Clump and Clad Quarters Found.

Besides the iron clump and clad coins, I also found a couple old flat buttons and a square nail, and a piece of a large bronze pin.


Flat Buttons and Square Nail.
I was enjoying today because I got to do what I call "pattern hunting" and could have easily hunted a couple more hours but I had other responsibilities to tend to so had to cut it short.

I think I might be able to make out the marks on the back of these buttons.

The surf will be decreasing for a few days.

Source: MagicSeaWeed.com.

Even though we had some good north winds, the swells were predominantly from the east.

Really wish I was able to catch the returning waves on video.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net